Hard Drive Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crusader

In Runtime
Hey what steps would i need to take before upgrading my new hard drive. What issues do i have to check compatability wise.
Cheers

what exactly do u wanna do with it? copy old OS to it? just add it? is it sata or eide? a little more info for us please..

I wanna replace my current one because it only 30gb and i need more space. Im not sure if i want IDE or SATA becuase i dont know the differnece(if you would tell me itd save me going on google).
Sorry im new to this sort of stuff and i should have googled about the IDE or SATA drive.
Cheers

If your board supports SATA, get that. It's newer and faster. You could leave the OS on your 30gb and put your new drive in as a slave and move stuff like your My Documents onto your new drive, keeping just your OS stuff on your old drive. I would think you'd want to partition your new drive for your OS and everything anyway, and unless your 30gb is really slow or something, it'd be a fine size for just the OS stuff. I did that to my grandfather's computer. He had a 30gb and bought an 80gb, and I just left the 30 in for the OS and moved his My Documents and other files to his new 80gb.

^^^
209113.gif
^^^

Sort of what I was thinking.

Unless your hard drive is dying, just add another one.

If you'll list the make and model of your PC, we'll find out which kind it takes.

Well ok but my comp was made by someone else and i bought it cheap so im not sure what make and model it is. But here is some info i got from CPU-Z, hope this help.

-MOBO-

IBM
Model-6059KZA
Chipset-Intel i815/E/EP
Southbridge-Intel 82801BA (ICH2)
Rev-A2

There was a better program for scanning your comp's componets, it started with A do you guys know it? Anyway here is the details about the MOBO just ask if u need more.
Thanks

ok i trwaled the intel site, your mobo supports ATA 100, not SATA. I would recommend ATA anyway because its cheaper & hard drives just dont use the 100MB/s of bandwidth of ATA, 10MB/s at the most

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom