Hard drive recognized as 120gb when it's 320gb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrax

Daemon Poster
I've got a Western Digital 320gb SATA hard drive. At the moment, Windows is reading it as only having 120gb, instead of 320gb. Anyone know why this may be?

is it 120 on it's head or 137? if not 137, try partition magic and see wassup w/ that harddrive. you should be able to make the partition bigger, if anything.

What's partition magic?

I searched on Google for the link that is dead on that thread that was posted earlier, and it says the solution for it is to install SP2. Which I already have...

partition magic is a peice of software that you can purchase and it will allow you to resize your partitions and all that good stuff. There are several other things you can do with it as well. Such as things like switching from FAT32 to NTFS and stuff.

Um... Onto the topic...

Doesnt windows only recognize like 127 gig or somethin like that at first, but then you gotta do somethin and it will see the full 320.

If i am wrong, some1 please correct me.

after service pack 2 or 1, i donno which, it recognizes hard drives larger than 137gb (or roughly 120 gb). Just use windows good ol' formatting, or you can use partition magic. That way, you can make a new partition (or as many as you want) leaving your 120gb partition untouched.

Go to Western Digital support, put in your specs, download their disk partioning software which will fit on a floppy disk, make a boot disk, and it will partition your hard drive, like magic! Presto! No matter your OS. Hope this helps:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom