Hard Drive Question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Hard Drive Question

If I buy an external hard drive with USB 3.0 and with USB 3.0 reaching 5 Gbit/s speeds, will the hard drive be the bottle neck? I'm not too sure how fast hard drives read or write, but is it 5 Gb fast? On http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive it says that high rpm (10,000-15,000 rpm) hard drives can achieve up to 1.6 Gbit/s transfer speeds, but this is much less than the 5Gbit/s speed of the USB 3.0. I'm a correct to assume that the hard drive will be my main bottle neck?

Hope this isn't too dumb a question, but I've been wondering about it for a while. Thanks!

Old 02-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Hard Drive Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelicAnderson View Post
If I buy an external hard drive with USB 3.0 and with USB 3.0 reaching 5 Gbit/s speeds, will the hard drive be the bottle neck? I'm not too sure how fast hard drives read or write, but is it 5 Gb fast? On http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive it says that high rpm (10,000-15,000 rpm) hard drives can achieve up to 1.6 Gbit/s transfer speeds, but this is much less than the 5Gbit/s speed of the USB 3.0. I'm a correct to assume that the hard drive will be my main bottle neck?

Hope this isn't too dumb a question, but I've been wondering about it for a while. Thanks!
Hi and welcome to Tech Forums .

Hmm judging from the info provided, I would say yes. Remember HDD has moving parts inside it, unlike a Solid State Drive (SSD) drive for example, which would lower the transfer rate because of the reading/locating/writing processes. I could be totally wrong there though, and hope to be corrected if I am by any member...but to my logical thinking, that is why.

So yes, your HDD would be the bottleneck in this situation.
Also no question is too dumb , once your learning something, it's off some relevance .

Old 02-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: Hard Drive Question

Also most of the time that advertised file transfer speed is under optimal settings with no other parts included. You rarely get 3gb/s from HDD to HDD (sata) so you won't get super fast speeds, but yes you'll be limited by the HDD, but still if and when you upgrade to a SATAII drive(s) you'll be prepped for faster speeds.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Closed Thread