Hard Drive Question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2007, 08:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
This is sparta!
Default Hard Drive Question

I want to upgrade to a new harddrive as my harddrive right now is only 120 gb and I constantly back up my data into DVDs.

What are all the steps necessary from finding the right harddrive to installing it to software?

Pretend I'm not computer-savvy (which I'm really not) and explain it to me in that detail.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to King X13

1) find out if you have SATA or IDE.(SATA = really thin cable about as wide as a dime that connects to the motherboard, IDE = Wide Ribbon about as thick as a dollar bill that connects to the motherboard)

2) You may want to read your motherboard manual or list your motherboard model on here as you may have an IDE now but may be able to use SATA which is much better.

3) After you figure if you are going to use SATA or IDE figure out a good size, im guess a 500gb might do you justice.

4) Connect your new hard drive up, Format it so windows can see it using the software the hard drive comes with or downloading it from the manufacturers site.

5) Partition the drive, what i normally do on bigger drives is set a windows partition of about 40-80 gigs depending on how many programs and games me or the person im doing it for is going to be puttting on there. then i leave the rest for files.

6) Boot into windows off the old drive and cut and paste the files you want on to the file partition you set up.

7) Install windows onto the partition you set up for that. if you have a program like ghost where you can clone your partition it might save you trouble of installing every and just clone it to the new drive.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

You would be better of getting an External Hard Drive

This means that you connect the External hard drive (Via USB)

and it should automaticly appear on your ''My Computer''

They are quite small - about the size of a passport

You can get them from 10gb - 1000gb
10gb will be about £15 ($25) and a 1000gb will be about £400 ($750)
Old 02-18-2007, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
This is sparta!

According to the sony specs, my comp uses an IDE harddrive. Is that an outdated harddrive? Should I still upgrade it?

Also I hear all this things about harddrives "dying" after a few weeks.

Also, is my comp worth upgrading at all or is it time to buy a new one?
Old 02-18-2007, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

I take it your not big on external hard drives....they do the job you know, id give it ago before you dismiss it
Closed Thread