Hard Drive problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unreal Tuner

Baseband Member
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 120gig hard drive from Seagate for a computer that i am building. Nothing special just want it for simple basic things (Office and to burn cds). I first put it in my primary computer as a slave and formatted and partitioned it with Partiton Magic 8. I then copied over files the slave so that I could boot from it. I then proceeded to test it out and boot from it but it did not work saying that there was an error. I then formatted it and left the slave empty and tried to boot from my windows xp disk, but that did not work either. Somehow I don't remember this being hard before :) So I am obviously forgetting to do something. Any help?

Thanks

You can't just copy the Windows files to a new disk and boot from it. You have to re-install Windows or do a repair install.

that seems to be my problem. The setup screen does not come up. It just gives me an error message. Should I just format and partition the drive, then restart it with the disk in? Would that work?

You have to configure your BIOS to boot from the CD drive. Press DEL to enter the BIOS (on most computers).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom