Hard Drive Mirroring - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Hard Drive Mirroring

so all I had open for the installation of windows 7 was a measly little 160gb drive as I didn't want to lose my 1tb of info on my other drive. I've gone ahead and gotten a new 1.5tb for my main disk. I would like to make a complete copy so I can format the 160gb and use it as a small external and use the 1.5tb as the main disk. What program do you recommend for this process?

Old 11-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Hard Drive Mirroring

Install windows on the 1.5TB
Connect the 160gb to the pc as well as the 1.5
boot off the 1.5
Drag and drop any files you want from the 160Gb drive to the 1.5Tb drive. Don't bother with any of the system folderes on the 160Gb, just copy any of your personal data folders (e.g my documents, desktop, any special folders you had, etc.)
format the 160Gb

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 11-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

is making an exact duplicate of my drive really that much of a pain?
my problem is, I don't know how many time my Windows 7 disk works. its Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade. I purchased it through my school for very cheap but they only allow 1 copy per person.
I am just looking to make an exact copy of my disk and then reassign the new disk as drive C.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 11-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I found a bootable program called Dr.Freeware it has a drive duplication ability. I think I might give it a try. just play around until I get it figured out.
if you guys know anything about the program or if its malevilant then please let me know!

also i've seen something about drivers not working whats with that? I still have all the drivers for my mobo, chipsets, and videocard from when I first installed 7 (although it worked really well with out the drivers installed)

Old 11-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Paragon Partition Manager also does a fantastic job of cloning drives to a different drive size.

Closed Thread