Hard Drive HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe563

Solid State Member
Well the problem is I got a "Disk Read Error, Press CTRL + ALT + DELETE to restart" well I replaced that hard drive, new ribbon cable and for sum reason before I installed windows xp it said

Boot Sector Write
Virus: Continue (Y/N)

What the **** does this mean? Have I got a vrius? If so then how did that seemingly brand new drive get it?

I pressed yes and proceeded to install the operating system, while it was formatting my drive the same message came up again. Now when I use windows media player beta 2 to play some tracks it keeps reading the drive for AGES, everything becomes sluggish and frozen. After a WHILE it starts to work again. Could it be windows media player?

What does this all mean? The drive is brand new, its a "Segate Barracuda 7200.9 80 GB"

Please could someone help as I dunno what to do, by the way inside my p.c was dusty etc this surely cant be the contributing factor can it?

Well first off, you didn't have to replace the HDD. All you had to do was re-install XP. :)

I'm not sure what that error means...

Well when i tried to install xp on the hard drive i took off, it wouldnt let me! It said press any button to fun from C.D, so i did, then it said xp is gathering required information. After this the screen went black for like 30 mins til i turned it off. All in all I did need to replace the hard drive. :D

Anyone know what that boot sector thing is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom