Hard Drive is defective? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Hard Drive is defective?

okay ive just been in touch with ASUS live support, and they guy there thinks it could be a bad board so im gonna have to exchange it...

Old 11-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Did you try what I said about changing what channels you are using on the motherboard for the drive that appears to be dead?

Old 11-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

by channels do you mean SATA ports? yea i tried every port, both SATA cables, all power cables from the psu. None will work in the HDD whereas they all work with the optical drive. Ive just sent the mobo back and should receive another tommorow so ill try again. Also i have purchased another brand new HDD and it still wouldnt work and i highly doubt that is broken too.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hmm im starting to think it was nothing wrong with the Mboard. Ive just jump started my psu and connected it to both hard drives i have. Neither span up but they did get a tiny bit warm... Is it possible that i got 2 bad drives? I really dont think the psu is to blame as it can power everything else i had installed on my mobo no problem, and i checked the voltages and they were all within 5% of the 3.3V, 5V and 12V. :SSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Old 11-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

I would not expect a HDD to spin up unless a controller was telling it to do so.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 11-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Newb Techie

so does that mean that jump starting a psu with a HDD on the end isnt a viable way of testing it?
Old 11-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lord Techie

No, it isn't, the controller initiates most of what a drive does, other wise, you are just powering a logic board that's waiting for instructions.

By channel, I mean each individual sata connection on your motherboard. Instead of using the same connection on the motherboard over and over, have you tried a DIFFERENT channel, which, you answered yes in a previous post to this one.

The odds of a bad HDD twice in a row isn't common if they are obtained through two different companies, but if from the same one, then yours odds go up.

That narrows it down to a faulty controller or slightly fubared re-flash of your BIOS.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well it wasnt working before i flashed the BIOS either... is it possible that things like optical drives could work and a hard drive not, if the sata controller was faulty?
Old 11-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lord Techie

No, though, I guess it's possible, I have never heard of that happening before...

What brand are these hard drives? Where are you getting them from? Have you looked to see how your BIOS is setup to make sure you haven't accidently created some kind of RAID array? Have you checked the BIOS summary to see if your drives are all listed?
Old 11-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
Newb Techie

:O The first drive i got was a samsung spinpoint 500gb 5200rpm which i ordered off the internet. The second is a Hitachi 500gb 7200rpm which i purchased at a Maplin store. I know for sure that i didnt have it set to raid. The BIOS of my board only has 3 settings for sata: IDE, AHCI and RAID. I had it set to IDE. In the BIOS summary the optical drives ARE listed but no amount of fiddling made me able to get the hard drive to show on there. It just shows the SATA port which i have it connected to as "undetected". I am able to choose HDD in the boot sequence but i dont think that means it has been recognised at all... Im due a fresh motherboard tommorow exactly the same as the other one so i will test it but if its the same i have no idea 0.0

Closed Thread