Hard Drive is defective?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaming dan

Baseband Member
Hey guys. Ive nearly finished my first pc build now. Its gone quite well and as i type this im sat in front of my new rig with the BIOS screen on the monitor. I have only one problem though. All my parts are working fine apart from my Samsung 500GB internal SATA 2. It is connected correctly but when i power the pc up it does not spin and isnt detected by the BIOS. Any help?

Spec:
ASUS M4A77TD-PRO motherboard
AMD athlon II 640 x 4 @ 3.0ghz
4gb Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1600Mhz ram
Nvidia ge force gt 240
OCZ Stealth X-Stream 700W PSU
Samsung Spinpoint 500gb 5200rpm SATA 2

cheers guys.

Also i forgot to mention, i have flashed the BIOS and it is the latest version.

anyone any ideas?

Do you have two physical drives? Or just one?

If you do have 2 drives the first thing I would do is make sure your primary drive (the one with the OS) is plugged into the SATA 1 connector on your motherboard. Any secondary drives plug into SATA 2 then SATA 3 etc... Next make sure in the BIOS boot up utility you set your CDROM as the first boot device, then your primary HDD as the second. If one of those don't work, then we will go from there.

Hi. I have just the one drive. I have also set the optical drive as the first boot device and the HDD as the second. (Although the HDD shows up in the list of bootable devices as HDD it is not shown on the main BIOS page where it just says undetected). Also i have it plugged into SATA1 on the mobo.

P.S sorry for triple post.

cheers, dan

Dumb suggestion, but make sure you have the power connector and SATA cable seated well.

Hello :) Yea ive checked them and they are seated correctly. Ive tried all different ports and both sata cables i am using are fine aswell as all the power connectors from the psu. got me stumped :(

hmm, maybe if try clearing the cmos; remove the battery from the motherboard (it's shaped like a coin) for a few minutes, then pop it back in and restart the pc.

Hey, thanks for the post. Ive just tried clearing it and still nothing. The drive itself doesnt even spin up so i think it could be faulty even though its brand new :S All the cables are 100% plugged in and working....

You wouldn't happen to have the occasional SATA drive that has both a molex and a SATA power connection would you? If so, remove one of the power dongles from that drive, and pray it didn't fry.

Also, try a different SATA connection on the motherboard to rule the onboard controller out.

Other than that, it looks like you got one that was DOA, and need to RMA the drive.

Thanks for the help guys, im gonna pick up another drive later on today and then hopefully it will work. Ill keep you informed of how i get on :)

Cheers, dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom