Hard Drive capacity upgrade question

tech4life

Solid State Member
I need some assistance. My 200Gb EIDE drive crashed on my HP Media Center m1160n Desktop PC. I'm looking to buy a higher capacity for growth either another EIDE but I really want to buy a SATA drive.

The motherboard I'm using is K8S-LA (Salmon) and it's specification said 2 SATA connectors (support 2 drives, 1 SATA 150 disk drive on each connector). By that being said, it means to me I need to buy 2 drives to get a total of 300Gb drive, but is this really true? Can I not buy 300GB or a 500 Gb drive and just connect it to one SATA connector?

I found a SATA drive at bestbuy in my area and it's on sale, but if the above is true, then I would need to find either 2 SATA 150gb each or try to find EIDE drive.

I'm not sure what I want to do yet, but I'm installing a version of Windows 7 and when time goes by, I probably start playing installing and testing.

No, you don't have to install 2 drives for 300G. The 150 refers to the SPEED of the SATA connectors. SATA 150 means that it can transfer data at 1.5Gb per sec. It's the original SATA spec. Since then, the SATA spec has been improved to SATA 2.0 (3.0Gb) and then SATA 3.0 (6Gb).

You can buy a 500G (or larger) SATA drive and it will most likely be a SATA 3.0 drive, it will still work with your mobo but it will be restricted to the 1.5Gb transfer rate of the SATA controller built-in to the your mobo.

Back
Top Bottom