Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddieboi17

Baseband Member
Im planning to upgrade my hard drive from a 80GB one to arounrd say 120GB one and i currently have a Maxtor 4R080J 80GB drive and i was thinking of getting a SATA drive. Also will this extra disk space make any difference to my pc performance etc? Plus it means i can store more music files to :D

as long as you defragment the hdd regularly, extra disk space won't hurt your performance. in fact, the SATA drive might be a little faster. Western Digital Cavier SE is a good SATA150 drive. Seagte Barracudas are good too.

Ta! erm another thing i wanted to know was when i get this new hard drive is it wise to keep the old one in still and use that as extra memory to? I was just thinking of replaying that one with a 160BG harddrive but not sure how i would transfer the data from the 80GB one to the new 160GB drive

good drive. just keep the old one.....well, how old is it?

that's the variable that determines alot of things. if its pretty old, you may want to consider transferring your data to a new drive. how? you have to use some sort of disk imaging program....but that is beyond my range of current knowledge.

i say its a good idea to have windows and programs on your oldest or least reliable drive just because if that drive crashes you can always reinstall windows and other programs. if all your data such as pictures, music, documents were on the old drive, then if it crashed it would be hard if not impossible to get that data back.

hopefully someone else will chime in give you more details

ta, yes i heard that you have to use some program to transfer your data, i thought you would see your new drive on the my computer thing and transfer your data like that but im an idiot to think ti could be that simple lol. erm well iv had this pc for about a year now but my friend brought the pc like 2 maybe 3 years tops

plus i was wondering if there was a way to find out what types of hard drives my pc can have and support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom