hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilive138jp

Beta member
I'm looking into getting a larger hard drive. I really don't know what to look for, thus why I'm here.

I want something at least 100gb+. I'm running a dell dimension 4550 (yes I know it's crap but it gets the job done). I have a 55gb hard drive =\. Very small. I'm constantly deleting programs to make room.

Basically what I'm asking is, What are some good hard drive choices? Would I be able to put it in myself? I can put in a video card, RAM, etc... but idk about a hard drive.

Also, would it be possible to transfer the data on my old hard drive to the new hard drive I'm hopefully getting? If so, how?

Sorry if this is asking to much, I"m just pretty much hopeless when it comes to this kinda stuff.

Hey evilive138jp
Welcome-to-TF.png

You will need an IDE hard drive. And hard drives are very inexpensive these days. You also should consider only two hard drive companies that matter. And they are Seagate and Western Digital. They are the top two brands, and the only brands you should look at. The other brands, just don't compare to them in terms of quality, reputation, and warranty.

I would suggest these hard drives, for your needs:
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3160815A 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM
or
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 "Perpendicular Recording" ST3250820A 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM

As for the transferring of data. Are you looking to make the new hard drive, the main hard drive? As in the one that holds your Windows files, etc.? If so, what you can do, is clone your old hard drive to the new one. I think the program is called Norton Ghost.

Buying a new hard drive is very cheap nowadays. Installing a hard drive is a piece of cake, especially on a Dell. You will have to use a program called Norton Ghost if you want to transfer files over.

The installation is just:
1. Open case (side panel)
2. Screw on brackets for the Dell Easy Install thing they have.
3. Slide it in place.
4. Plug in power and IDE cable.
5. Run Norton Ghost or use as storage drive.

Link to Dell Website: Documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom