Which hard disk is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Hello All,

I just recently received a couple early X-mas gifts, both hard drives. The one in my current system is dying so I need to replace it. (Western Digital 75gb, 5 years old, VERY used)

Anyway, my question is, I only need one of the drives, so was hoping some one could just tell me which they feel is better. I honestly don't know, I was leaning towards the Maxtor since it's SATA and larger. My WD is so old I would guess either of these drives will seem great!

Maxtor 250GB SATA
SeaGate Barracuda 160GB ATA/100

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'd like to return one of them this week and see what other goodies I can pick up :)

Both were from CompUSA, links below if you need specs.

Maxtor 250gb SATA/150
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=305076&pfp=SEARCH

Seagate 160GB ATA/100
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=304907&pfp=cat3

Thanks!

hmm sata but maxtor, seagate but IDE. the only real difference for sata is the smaller cable, i say seagate!

yeah but it doesnt utilize the maximum speed like IDE is capped at like 50mb/s while sata is like 100mb/s and sata II is 3Gb/s but sata only does like 60-80mb/s which aint that fast to 50mb/s

i have a maxtor diamond 10 300GB SATA w/16mb cache works perfectly. don't know why u don't like them but never had any problem wid it.

if i were to choose between the two, i would get the maxtor. it's not because i have a maxtor, it's just that the maxtor is SATA and has higher capacity. and beside, people are going SATA these days

SATA will offer no real advantage in terms of drive peforamance.

The Maxtor is bigger and Maxtor drives are slightly faster.

However I would still go seagate becase I see a terribly amount of dead maxtor drives (even recent ones). I will never trust data to maxtor drives, ever.

SeaGate is a very very very reliable brand, while Maxtor is only somwhat reliable. If oyu don't mind having it go out on you faster than the SeaGate, then go with the Maxtor. SeaGate and Western Digital are, in my opinion, the 2 best HD brands out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom