guidance needed on new TV tuner card

Status
Not open for further replies.

timboW

Solid State Member
Hi there,
Can someone please help me figure out which TV tuner best suits my purposes?

My old computer recently died on me, and it had an old MSI TV tuner card on it that served me pretty well for what I wanted, which is to record the odd classic movie from TV directly to my computer, via a cable connected to the cable box, and burn it to disk. The software that came with the MSI card was perfect for my needs as well, as it allowed me to set the bit rate at just the right level to ensure that the recorded file would fit onto the disk afterwards.

I replaced the old system, but the MSI card won't work on it because it's not compatible with the 64 bit version of Windows 7. So I need a new TV tuner card. What I need to do is get something adequate that will work the new system. I've looked at the various units available from Hauppauge but can't really figure out what I really need. Something like the 2250 seems like overkill, maybe even the 1850 model is more than what I need – I just don't know. What I don't understand either is the cheaper units like the 1250 which are purely for analog – how can you use them if the signal coming through these days is digital?

Could someone please point me in the right direction and explain the difference between the digital and analog cards, and if/why I might need the more expensive cards that have both analog and digital inputs?

Thanks………..Tim

Motherboard – ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Sound - Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS
RAM - Corsair XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB)
DVD - Lite-on DVDRW LH-20A1L SCSI
HD - Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB
Power - Cooler Master Real Power Pro RS-750-ACAA-A1 750W
OS – Windows 7 Ultimate (64)

Status
Not open for further replies.