GTX 650 and 660

danhodge

In Runtime
As usual, i did a very extensive Google search, and got mixed reviews, so its another thread from me.
But hopefully this one will help a lot of people with the less extensive understandings of computers, like me, as the recent release of the GTX 650 and GTX 660 has been fairly confusing. Especially because the benchmarking on the Nvidia site seems extremely exaggerated.

My budget still isn't very clear, because i now have a very expensive Economics trip to New York that i need to pay for, so saving money is a pretty important thing for me right now.

I have been extensively looking at the following 4 cards:
GTX 550Ti,
GTX 560Ti
GTX 650,
GTX 660.

Now, i have two questions from there, that i watched a lot of Newegg videos to answer, yet didn't actually get an answer for.

1. If i have to go for the lowest priced cards, i am going for a GTX 550Ti or a GTX 650. Which one is better? The 650 seems to be the obvious option, but the 550Ti seems to have some higher specs on the Nvidia site.

2. Same question with the GTX 560Ti and the GTX 660 - if my budget allows me, i will pick one of these. Should the 560Ti be sufficient for any game on at least medium settings, or should i spend an extra few pounds and get a 660?

Thanks a lot, as always!
Danny

Depending on the game the 660 is between 570 and 580 performance roughly, seriously outdoing the 560ti.

The 650 is an absolute turd, being bested by even the 7770 sometimes and the 560ti is way better than it. Still though, the 650 is better than a 550ti.

To give you a better idea, the 650 is even bested by the aging GTX 460 1GB.

It is a bit cheaper than the 460 though, right?
But thanks, that is very helpful. This makes the 660 the best value then, right?

I'm tight with money, but i wouldn't want to buy used parts - could just be a waste really...
I think I'm going to have to go with the 660, its just too tempting. Besides, i will need a fairly powerful PC for doing Computer Science at Uni, so it is a worthwhile investment :)

Back
Top Bottom