Grpahics card help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwymore

Solid State Member
Recently i bought an NVIDIA 9800GT with 1 gig of DDR3. After installing it i realized there are 2 - 4 pin molex power connectors coming off of it. I thought only 1 was required to run it so i hooked up the one and everything was running fine except when i turn the graphics all the way up on HALO 2 the screen sort of fizzels out and then the monitor goes into power saver and i have to reboot the machine even tho the tower is still running. Every other game i have that require similar loads on the GPU such as COD4, L4D run with everything on high just fine. I was thinking my case was just getting too warm since it was a really small case with only 1 exhaust fan and the GPU barely fit inside the case in the first place. So i just bought an ANTEC 900 and have the top fan and 2 side fans running but it is still doing it. Im now thinking its not getting enough power and that i need to connect the other 4 pin power cable to the power supply. Problem is my power supply only has 6 connections and 3 are running fans, 1 is on my Hard drive and 1 is on my DVD drive and the last one is on my GPU. MY question is can i take my old power supply and use 1 connection off of it and have it act as a standalone to power the second connector on my GPU?

You need to connect 2 molex into the 1 pci-e adaptor.

What power supply? as you should have a 6 pin pci-e connector, as 90% of newer psus have at least 1, and can just use that.

You don't need to put the fans on to 1 cable, in fact the 900 fans can chain together.
I put all 2 or 3 behind the back panel and connected them to each other.

Ok, your pretty much my hero. You just eliminated TONS of cabling out of my case and now i have all my fans running and i had totally forgot that i could power the GPU from the PCI E cable. Everything is working great thank you :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom