Graphics Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerman2442

Solid State Member
Having problems with Vista 64 bit and my ATI Radeon X1800XT 512 MB graphics card. Currently trying to work out my issues on another thread. I think there is either a problem with the card overheating or a driver issue with Vista. From time to time my screen starts glitching and causes a system reboot or lock-up. Sometimes it recovers from the error and I can close out what I am doing (usually World of Warcraft) and Vista gives me an error. Driver failed, the system was able to recover.

Anyway, the reason I am posting on here is because in the worst-case scenario I will have to buy a new graphics card. Been looking around on TigerDirect and NewEgg for prices on newer graphics cards. The main thing I am noticing is all these cards are PCI-E x16 2.0. I am guessing that since they no longer have the original PCI-E x16 cards that 2.0 is fully backward compatible with old PCI-E x16 slots? I ran into a good deal on an EVGA GeForce GTX 260 896 MB graphics card. Should this work with my old PCI-E slot? Is there anything I should watch out for when upgrading? Minimum PSU output, problems with backwards compatibility, etc?

Thanks

They are backwards compatible with pci-e 1.0

I would want a top quality psu like corsair with a minimum of 500watts and 36 12v amps.

It has the 2 6-pin pci-e plugs you need. 34amps on the 12v. Should be able to run it.

Yeah, figured it should be able to with the (2) 6-pin PCI-E connectors. Only have one DVD+-RW Drive, Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM HDD, (3) 120MM case fans, and (1) 80mm case fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom