graphics upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

heffer

In Runtime
i bought this desktop from some place 5yrs ago and it came with 32mb of crappy integrated-graphics. so now my question is if i were to install a new AGP video card, do i have to worry about my new gpu conflicting with the old video processor? i mean it's not like "oh since u bought an oem with on-board graphics, u can't upgrade it now" right.

also, will PCI-E video cards work ok on my mobo's PCI slots?

No, PCIE will not work with regular pci they're totally different slots.
If you have an AGP slot that will work, most likely you'll have to jump into the bios and disabled integrated graphics after you've installed the new card. It's usually in Integrated Peripherals menu in the bios.

As a rule integrated graphics automaticly disabled if you install a video card. (For example I have a VIA KM-400 motherboard and I havn't any conflicts if I plug any AGP vide ocard.

be carefull though, i had a 3 year old celeron 2.6GHz and it couldnt even have AGP graphics card because the motherboard only supported the very very old pci style so i didnt even bother with it and just waited until i got this system(see sig)

He;s right AGP videocards aren't worth it. My socket 939 motherboard only supports AGP 8x, so instead of spending $300 to buy a 7800GS AGP, i'd rather wait and save up to buy a new DFI Lanparty board with pci-E for like $120, and a 7600gt for liek $180. The price is the same as getting one 7800GS AGP, btu the per4mance beats it out by a bunch.

run cpu-z to see if you have an agp slot. or just open up your comp and see if you have a brown/grey slot that looks different from the other white slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom