Graphics card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crockpot

Solid State Member
Hey everybody I just need some help with some tech issues. I just got a new computer last couple weeks. Its really fast with a AMD 64 dual processor +4200 with 1024 of ram. Some demos i have been playing like F.E.A.R. and Quake 4 dont work so well on it. They work but on medium and high setting they work really slow.

So i posted around and i got a answer with little explantation in the FEAR forums. I was told that my nvidia card is not very good card because its intergrated ( Geforce 6100). Im guessing intergrated means it has a tv tuner so it slows down the other stuff. Correct me if im wrong. I was wondering if I can have a second opinion this or if there is anyway i can fix this.

Also if this is a bad card, where can i find a better card for under $150 or maybe $200. Also how can i find out how my computer supports PCI connection or whatever you connect graphics card on the motherboard. Im not sure but i dont want to open it up unless i have to.

Thanks alot and i look forward for your advice.

Im suprised you can actually run FEAR at all with the integrated. Integrated graphics means that its physically on your motherboard and it shares the system RAM. You will have to open it up if you want to replace the video card. If you want to run those games well, you will need a much better graphics card. For around $200 you can get a 6800GS which is an awsome card for the price.
If you open it up, this is an what an AGP slot looks like
http://www.benchmark.co.yu/tests/mainboards/asus/a7ve/agp.jpg
This is a PCI-express slot (the orange one)
http://thetechzone.com/nephp/uploads/282/pci.jpg

Did you buy this prebuilt? Could you post your mobo model and we'll help you find.

Wow, I'm stunned they paired an x2 with no physical video card :-\ That's just sad.

I'd also reccomend the 6800GS, or even the X1600XT.

However, since your system is so powerful, I'd look into investing into an X1800XL or 7800GT or faster.

Iam guessing its pre-built becuase I was just at Best buy and circuit city and they both had those computers as he described but maybe not.
If it is a HP then he has a Pci X!6 slot cuase the ones I saw had them.
And that 6100 is pretty much the best the on-board video on market and I've also heard it handles a few newer games.But its still on-board
GFX's "yuck"

Yea i got my computer from circuit city. Its a Gateway GT5032.

I guess another question i got is if i know if the card will fit in my computer. I guess im looking more towards a Geforce 6800 because 7800 is just way out of my price range.

I was looking at new egg and i just saw how bunch of 6800. Does it matter which one i get?

Oh yea. I was wondering if I could keep my old graphics card in my computer because its a tv tuner. Would there be any problem with that?

Looking at the specs on gateway's site, it seems like you have a separate TV tuner card. Are the TV tuner ports right next to the monitor ports? If its a separate card, then you can keep it.
The graphics card with best price : performace ratio, under the 7800GT is the 6800GS.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130267

If you put in a new video card, you will have to disable the onboard video in the BIOS.

As if crockpot knows what the bios is....

Just buy a 6800gs, and take it to a computer shop, they can't charge that much just to fit a card.

IGeMex said:
As if crockpot knows what the bios is....

Just buy a 6800gs, and take it to a computer shop, they can't charge that much just to fit a card.

How do you know what he knows. Even if he doesnt know about the BIOS, learning how to open it up and change one setting isnt that hard to figure out, especially if someone gave directions. It would take about 20 seconds to do, a lot faster than going to a store and paying them to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom