Graphics Card and Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratzlaff

Baseband Member
I just ordered a new graphics card. I have not installed it yet.
EVGA GeForce 8800 GS Superclocked Video Card - 384MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV 384-P3-N853-AR at TigerDirect.com

Now on the system requirements it says it needs a 400W PS. I have a 500W PS "Dynex DX-PS500W"

The DC output is:
"Dc Ouput - +5v=40a +12v1=16a +3.3v=35a +12v2=18a -5v=0.5a 12v=0.5a +5vsb=2.5a"

This does have a PCI-E 6 pin connector. I am assuming that is the 12v2.

The card says it requires 12V at 22A. This PS says 12V at 18A. Will this pose a problem for me? Should I upgrade the PS?

Also worth noting is that I dont intend on keeping this card for very long. This is a tide me over card until I build my new system in about 6 months. I have a friend that had a problem with a graphics card with the power output and he said the card worked for about 6 months then failed on him.

So what are the hazards of having not enough current going to the card? Should I replace my PS?

Thank you for the help.

You'll be fine. The power requirements are for the ENTIRE SYSTEM, not just the video card. Does the GS even require a 6 pin?

Thanks for the help. And by the way the EVGA card does take the 6pin power cable. It looks like you, Puddle Jumper, have the xfx card rather than the evga card.

Anyway thanks again for the help. I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom