Graphics Card installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mozart Face

Beta member
Hi everyone.

I have a terrible feeling that I am going to be asking a question that is asked a lot, and this is possibly not the right forum to ask it in but I am a complete novice with regard to computers and so please forgive me.

I wish to upgrade the graphics card on my PC, and today I purchased a ATI Sapphire HD Pro card. The specifications were good enough for what I needed and at a reasonable price I thought that was it. However, I did not realise there were various types of slot for the card to fit into - AGP, PCI, PCI express etc. The card I have bought is PCI express and so does not fit into my Dell Dimension 3100 as far as I can see. The computer is almost exactly 2 years old, purchased in Sept '06. I have uploaded a picture of what I think is a PCI slot on the inside of the computer to photobucket, which is here: http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/Adam_Altogether/DSC01119.jpg I am sorry for the poor quality of the photo, but the lower slot containing the card that the system came with (Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family... I think) is the same as the upper slot.

My questions then. Firstly, am I right in saying that the only slots I have available are PCI? Secondly, if this is the case, can someone recommend a graphics card for the PCI slot? My budget is roughly £50, which would roughly equate to $100 I should think.

Thank you very much for your help.

Sorry to say this, but the best card for the normal PCI interface would be the 8600gt, which isn't exactly the best thing in the world (Albatron 8600gt PCI more specifically is its name)

Yes, it appears you are right about only having PCI slots. Welcome to being screwed by Dell's cheap low-end excuses for a computer.

I didn't have much luck with UK etailers. None of them work as well as Newegg.

Yes, it appears you are right about only having PCI slots. Welcome to being screwed by Dell's cheap low-end excuses for a computer.

I didn't have much luck with UK etailers. None of them work as well as Newegg.

Crappy Crappy Dell... even with AGP he had more expansion room (if only cutting up cards actually worked hahaha :p)

Wow, thanks for the super fast replies, I really appreciate it. The trouble is if you search for PCI it almost inevitably comes up with PCI express results so I haven't had a lot of luck in searching myself. Also I am growing annoyed at Dell from what I am learning here! Having read up on the subject a bit, I find that the PCIe interface has been around a fair few years longer than I have had my computer.

I will do my best to find the Albatron then and bring back my ATI card to the shop tomorrow (where I was assured there would be no trouble at all in fitting it onto a two year old PC). Thanks again.

If you are able to find them, the X1300 and 2400PRO come in PCI.

Wow, thanks for the super fast replies, I really appreciate it. The trouble is if you search for PCI it almost inevitably comes up with PCI express results so I haven't had a lot of luck in searching myself. Also I am growing annoyed at Dell from what I am learning here! Having read up on the subject a bit, I find that the PCIe interface has been around a fair few years longer than I have had my computer.

I will do my best to find the Albatron then and bring back my ATI card to the shop tomorrow (where I was assured there would be no trouble at all in fitting it onto a two year old PC). Thanks again.

lol i guess they meant a non-Dell two year old PC:p.

How much did the Dell cost you anyway and do you know it's specs(processor, amount of ram etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom