Graphics Card Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Underwood

Solid State Member
Hey folks, this is my first post. I'm upgrading a used computer I bought and I need help deciding which graphics card to buy. It's AGP. Which one of these do you think is better?

SAPPHIRE Radeon X800GTO 256MB GDDR3 AGP
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102042

SAPPHIRE Radeon X1600PRO 512MB GDDR2 AGP 8X
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102039

The 256MB card got much better reviews, but I was told that the second card would give better performance for gaming because the memory was 512MB. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you have a better suggestion than these at around the same price or cheaper, that would be great as well. Thanks

If you are gonna go with one of those I would definatlly go with the X800 instead of the X1600.

Thanks for the replies guys. The reason I had those two cards specifically in mind was because those were recommended very highly by separate people on another forum. Another question: should I buy a cooling fan? I don't know whether I need one or not.

Ah, Ok. It was stated several times in the reviews that it runs hot. I was just wondering if I needed another fan or maybe just a better one. Another question. I was looking at the specs on the 800 and it states that a 350W power supply is recommended. I'm not sure, but it's possible that I only have 220W. Will the card not work then? Im somewhat broke right now and I really can't afford to build an entirely new computer. I would just like to get a card that might play WoW or something.

You should definitely upgrade your power supply. Somewhere between 400 and 550 would be good.

Alright, power supplies don't cost much I think. I won't have any trouble upgrading the power supply on a pre-built Compaq? Forgive me if it's a stupid question. Obviously hardware isn't my strong point, but I'm trying to learn.

Edit: While looking at power supplies on Newegg, I notice that there is a wide variety of brands, prices and specifications.
Do I need ATX or ATX12V? A 20 pin main connector or a 20+4 pin? Dual+12v? What brands are good or which ones should I avoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom