graphics card for friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirCyber

Daemon Poster
ok, before you guys start recommending things, a friend of mine is specifically looking at these two cards:
Newegg.com - XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100176L Radeon X1950PRO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

his question is about the different size of the cards and the bus speed difference. which is more important? also, as a personal question, is there perhaps a different card you guys would recommend in that same price range? it's for a budget build. specifically, which of these two cards is better and why?

8600GT would perform better if overclocked. As for the x1950PRO, it's a better card if you left it stock. But then, I would say that the 8600GT would perform fairly well. Take note that you might not be able to run some games on high settings with this card.

He's right, the 1950 Pro will perform better at stock. The 8600GT may gain a bit of an edge if overclocked. Both cards perform about the same. None of the benchmarks from VGA Charts show more than a 10% difference. If your friend has Vista he may as well buy the 8600GT so he can try and enjoy some DX10 features. I'm not sure how great they'll look given that it's a midrange card but at least they're available to you. If your friend doesn't use Vista, then it just depends on whether or not he wants to overclock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom