graphic card and power supply upgrade question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cscaffidi

Beta member
ok - so i'm looking at the rosewill rp500-2 atx12v v2.01 for 60$ on newegg simply because i searched by "best reviews" and it came up as the 1st 500w supply but how do i know if it will fit in my case? are power supplys pretty much standard size?

also i'm looking at the gecube radeon hd 2600pro 512mb agp (93$ newegg) also because of its' high reviews for a agp card which is apparently what i need. it calls for 400w and my system has 235w, hence the rosewill.

any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated...thanks.

here is what i am working with...(note the geforce 200mx card...just not cutting it!)

Model COMPAQ PRESARIO 6024US
Compaq P/N : 470033-291
Standard Features
Dimensions & Weights
(L x W x H) Unit: 16.55" x 6.88" x 14.5" (23.8 lbs)
Package: 23.20" x 13.0" x 23.50" (37.9 lbs)
Processor Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor - 1800 MHz (1.8GHz)
System Bus 400 MHz System Bus
Cache 12K micro-op trace cache
8KB L1 Advanced Transfer Cache
256KB L2 Advanced Transfer Cache
System Memory 512MB 266MHz DDR DRAM
2 Total DIMM Slots Upgradeable to 1.0GB (DDR DRAM DIMM required)
Hard Drive 80.0 GB UltraDMA Hard Drive
Optical Drive(s) 16X DVD-ROM Drive
24X CD-RW Drive
Communications 56K ITU V.90 Modem and Integrated 10/100 Ethernet Networking
Diskette Drive 3.5" 1.44 MB Diskette drive
Graphics 64MB SDR NVIDIAâ„¢ GeForce2â„¢ MX200 W/TV-Out Graphics Card:
64-bit hardware-accelerated 3D graphics
Compaq DVD Player/Navigator
Video Player (AVI, MPEG2 and others)
Plug-and-Play
Power Supply Steady-state 235 watts
Drive Bays One (1) 3.5" internal for hard drive
One (1) 3.5" external for 1.44 MB diskette drive
One (1) 3.5" external open for expansion
Two (2) 5.25" external for optical drives

Expansion Slots One (1) PCI slot with modem installed
One (1) 4X AGP slot with graphics card installed
Two (2) PCI slots open for expansion

I/O Interfaces Four (4) USB ports (2 front, 2 back)
Two (2) Serial RS-232C compatible, DB9 connector (16550) (2 rear)
One (1) Parallel EPP/ECP standard centronics-compatible interface (DB + B3225 connector) (1 rear)

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

I would have said "The PSU will work in your case, because most cases and PSU's are all ATX for the most part" but I see you have a premade computer, someone else may have to chime in, I have heard of Dells especially that use proprietary PSU sizes. If it works, I like Rosewill, I would get the PSU. The video card, I have no idea about ATI cards.

If you can take a picture of your PC's power supply, we can tell if it's a standard ATX or not. Or take a pic of the power supply's label. Most likely though, the Rosewill, will fit. I've put a standard ATX PSU in an old Dell before. The newer ones are more proprietary.

About the graphic card, it doesn't take alot to power it. That 235W may or may not handle it, but it's better to be safe.

I looked up some specs for that model Compaq and noticed the processor (I completely missed it in your first post, lol) and I think that the 1.8ghz will be quite the bottleneck, I really would not suggest upgrading that PC because well, it may not be worth it in the long run. 250-300 bucks can get you a decent home built PC nowadays that will put you current rig to shame.

Oh, I still could not find out if the layout is ATX or not, you may end up having to call Compaq's oh so wonderful tech support, but of course, they are going to want to sell you one of their own.

I'm pretty sure the motherboard factor is a mATX.

And I agree with oHGrFreak. $250-300, can make that system up to date. Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom