GPU upgrade? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2017, 12:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default GPU upgrade?

Hello, current gaming system specs are in the signature. Currently planning to upgrade sometime after the new year.

Was considering on upgrading my current gpu for either a 1070 Ti or a 1080. Would that be a good route to go with these parts being 5+ years old and possibly bottlenecking.
Should I just upgrade the mobo/cpu/ram and gpu all together instead.
Any input would be appreciated.

HyperX Genesis 4GB DDR3-1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 2GB) w/ Intel XMP
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC
Corsair HX650
500GB Samsung 850 EVO Series
2TB Seagate + 500 GB Seagate
Coolmaster Storm Sniper Black Edition
The_Lyrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: GPU upgrade?

Think the 1070ti would be a pretty good bet for that machine. I think Nvidia is still selling them direct at MSRP (if you're in the US). A 4GHz OC would be easy and sufficient on that CPU with a simple H80GT or something along those lines. 16GB of RAM wouldn't hurt either.

If you tell me your GPU resolution and games you want to play I can give you a good idea of how it would perform.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Thank you for the reply! I'm located in canada so prices are a little pricey compared down in the US. 1070 or the ti would still run fairly good on this current setup?

I don't plan doing 4k anytime soon, so 1080 maybe not a good option and save myself some money. Definitely need to up my ram to 16gb.The cooler I'm running is hyper evo 212 should be easy to keep it at 4ghz.

The resolution playing at is 1080p. Games are pubg, evil within 2, wolfenstien 2 and newer games coming out(can't think of any at this hour in the morning)
Corsair HX650
Old 12-27-2017, 08:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lyrics View Post
Thank you for the reply! I'm located in canada so prices are a little pricey compared down in the US. 1070 or the ti would still run fairly good on this current setup?

I don't plan doing 4k anytime soon, so 1080 maybe not a good option and save myself some money. Definitely need to up my ram to 16gb.The cooler I'm running is hyper evo 212 should be easy to keep it at 4ghz.

The resolution playing at is 1080p. Games are pubg, evil within 2, wolfenstien 2 and newer games coming out(can't think of any at this hour in the morning)
Alright cool, I'm gonna get to testing tonight and give you some results at 1080p.

The 1070ti is so close to the 1080 in performance it makes it almost redundant. I would definitely check to see if Nvidia would ship to Canada as with your prices up there you might get a lucky break lol. The 1070, 1070ti, and 1080 cards are ridiculously good for 1080p gaming and no, I don't feel you should have any problems with these games and that CPU. (You're lucky I just got The Evil Within 2 to test, literally got it during a Christmas gift exchange lol)

Alright, give me a night or so for some results as I have to build the machine from scratch. The CPU I will be using is a 2500k @ 4GHz so the numbers will be a hair lower than what you should really get with a 4GHz 3570k. If I can stabilize the chip at 4.2 it'll be a more respectful representation, but my P67 board has been....abused.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

I will definitely look into see if i can get a deal with Nvidia, yeah stuff here are way overpriced compared to south of us. Take your time with testing out the games not in a hurry to buy. Might be trouble finding ddr3 ram since my local store(Memory Express) seems to have cut down on the ddr3 ram they carry.

how much longer do you see my 3570K being relevant until I may need to upgrade?

I'll grab the 1070 ti since what you said is true, its almost as good as the 1080.
Corsair HX650
Old 12-27-2017, 11:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
I will definitely look into see if i can get a deal with Nvidia, yeah stuff here are way overpriced compared to south of us. Take your time with testing out the games not in a hurry to buy. Might be trouble finding ddr3 ram since my local store(Memory Express) seems to have cut down on the ddr3 ram they carry.

how much longer do you see my 3570K being relevant until I may need to upgrade?

I'll grab the 1070 ti since what you said is true, its almost as good as the 1080.
Probably better off trying to find some RAM locally.

For a while. It'll last long enough to save up for a new platform.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru

First two so far, and they look to be GPU bound. Both are ID Tech and both look like *** so if 70fps average for The Evil Within 2 isn't good enough you can always turn down some settings lol. Currently waiting on PUBG to finish download since it wouldn't while I was testing.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Nice, as long as the fps stay over 60fps high to max with some tweeks I'm happy with that. Assuming that the detail of the games were maxed? Would you say most games out nowadays are GPU intensive rather then CPU?
Corsair HX650
Old 12-28-2017, 05:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Nice, as long as the fps stay over 60fps high to max with some tweeks I'm happy with that. Assuming that the detail of the games were maxed? Would you say most games out nowadays are GPU intensive rather then CPU?
That took longer than it should have, but kept getting distracted. Anyway, yea these were all maxed with AA on FXAA, blur/DOF turned off cause I hate that ****. Games are always GPU bound depending on what CPU you have, and in 2 scenarios the CPU was a slight bottleneck but not enough to be a game changer. Especially with the games maxed, and I put 2 in there that weren't mentioned that I know are hard on systems. The higher in resolution you go the more GPU bound you become as I demonstrated on a video I made of this 2500k and dual Titan Xps running 4k. Anyways, here's PUBG, GTA V, and BF1. Gives a good round definition of what you should expect if you give your CPU a slight OC.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

Upping the clocks to 4.5 really helped the worst game which was GTA V. So yea you definitely won't have a problem.

Access to my Plex PM me.