GPU Upgrade

ColeS.

Solid State Member
Hello I am looking to upgrade my Gateway DX4200-09 desktop, it currently has AMD integrated graphics, HD 3200, at 500mb(ish) of vram. I am looking for something that can be found on amazon for under 60 to 70 dollars. The most bang for the buck but cheaper is always better. Something gaming qualified, I would like to play rocket league, CSGO and other games like that, nothing to intense.
Here are the specs for the computer.
640GB 7200rpm Serial ATA II/300 hard drive with 16MB Cache
• Amd Phenom X4 9750 95W AM2+ 4MB 2400MHZ
• Integrated ATI Radeon HD 3200 Hybrid Graphics with up to 256MB of Shared Video Memory
• 4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2-2048MB modules), expandable up to 8GB
• AMD 780G Chipset
• 1 – PCI-E x16, 1 – PCI-Ex1 and 1 – PCI Available Expansion Slots
• 18X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive featuring Labelflash Technology
• Gateway 15-in-1 media card reader with copy button
• 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 Front, 4 Rear)
• 2 IEEE 1394a Ports(1 Front, 1 Rear)
• 1 HDMI and 1 VGA video port
• 2 PS2 Ports
• 56k ITU v.92 Ready Fax/Modem (RJ-11 port)
• 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
• Premium Multimedia Keyboard
• 2-Button USB Optical Wheel Mouse
• Amplified USB Powered Stereo Speakers
• 8-Channel (7.1) High Definition Audio
• Dimensions (H x W x D): 16.34” x 7.09” x 17.32” (415mm x 180mm x 440mm)
• 300W Power Supply
Thank you for the recommendations.

Last edited:
You're kinda coming into things at the wrong time wanting cheap. Mining has jacked the prices of GPUs skyhigh. Even a crappy 1030 is over your budget, when it's supposed to be a 40 dollar card. Even with a fast i7 in my laptop the GPU in it makes it so I can't play Rocket League smoothly (which is what a cheap card like a 1030 would do). That being said if you were to actually squeeze that Phenom II from the other thread into your machine you'd need a better GPU to kinda carry the weight. Minimum I'd look at is a 1050 which the cheapest I can see is about 100 bucks.

Thanks but I decieded to go with a Phenom 1 cpu because I have no idea how to update the BIOS and where to look. Also what time do you think would be a good time to go GPU shopping?
You're kinda coming into things at the wrong time wanting cheap. Mining has jacked the prices of GPUs skyhigh. Even a crappy 1030 is over your budget, when it's supposed to be a 40 dollar card. Even with a fast i7 in my laptop the GPU in it makes it so I can't play Rocket League smoothly (which is what a cheap card like a 1030 would do). That being said if you were to actually squeeze that Phenom II from the other thread into your machine you'd need a better GPU to kinda carry the weight. Minimum I'd look at is a 1050 which the cheapest I can see is about 100 bucks.

I know but I have no idea how and where I can find BIOS support I tried to look on the manufacture's website for the motherboard and nothing I tried to do research and nothing on my model of motherboard. If you can point me in the right direction that would be very helpful.

Phenom 1 is going to hold you back considerately.

Nobody knows. Whenever mining busts.

Who had the latest bios there are no links. Also what is the version of the bios for the bios I need to support the cpu because the system did tons of updates an I did some my self.

Scroll down the thread, it's the last link available but I didn't click it. Doesn't matter though, the latest bios that appears to be available for the motherboard doesn't support anything newer than Phenom 1.

Scroll down the thread, it's the last link available but I didn't click it. Doesn't matter though, the latest bios that appears to be available for the motherboard doesn't support anything newer than Phenom 1.

Hello, sorry not for responding in a while but I looked at the link and it does not have what I need it has an older version of what I have at the moment. What BIOS version would I need for this CPU to work?
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-Q...59699&sr=8-2&keywords=Phenom+II+Quad-Core+95w
Answered in previous post.

Back
Top Bottom