GPU Upgrade

ProudOwnerOfYou

Solid State Member
Okay so I recently built my new system (specs below) but I haven't ordered my GPU yet and I plan on doing so soon and i'm really split on the choice.

I think i've narrowed it down to two cards. The Radeon RX 480( 8gb) priced @ 239 or the GTX 1060 (6gb) priced @ 250

I've been looking into this for months now and I hear a lot of different things, the cards have very similar performance, some say the 480 has less time in between frames and a more steady time between frames for less lag spikes a smoother experience, but what i'm getting from this all is the 480 is a new DX12 card and wins there and the 1060 wins in the DX11 category and is based on what you play. Is this correct?

I play a lot of CS:GO, ARK Survival, Dark Souls, but play pretty much everything thats what I play mainly currently as my GPU can't keep up with some of the larger titles, that this upgrade should solve. Also into light content creation and like streaming and occasional recording, would these cards be able to keep up in that respect?

PC Specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8350 (right before ryzen RIP, may upgrade in future)
GPU: Radeon 7730
PSU: Corsair CX750
Mobo: MSI 970A Carbon
8GB DDR3
Storage: 256gb SSD, 128gb SSD, 1tb WD Blue

Thanks for all the help and support.

Best Regards,
~Proud/Kevin

You recently built an 8350 rig? We'll uh....set that aside for now.

Here's the bottom line. They're about equal across the board. Devs are not entirely embracing DX12 and half if not more of the titles that have adopted it are poorly patched over and cause inferior performance most of the time. So I wouldn't worry about that for another 2 or 3 years.

That being said, Nvidia has one thing AMD doesn't, superior h.264 encoding for streaming. If you want to stream and record, GFE is where you want to be.

One final thing, Ark will perform like **** on any hardware you put it on. Just a fair warning.

Last edited:
Yeah I know an 8350 rig, but didn't feel like dropping double the money for similar performance as the 8350 is from what i've seen and heard an overall good budget gpu and should pair nicely with a gpu of this caliber, correct me if i'm wrong., from my understanding the 8350 should be all I need as I have no plans on building some High end 1070 or higher rig.

And i'm aware about Ark. Lmao it's poorly optimized and I don't see that being fixed, ever.

And thank you for the information on the h.264 encoding! And yeah DX11 is the way to go it looks like.

If you're gaming even an i3 is better than having an 8350. Not to mention the platform benefits, but with Ryzen here now that's all irrelevant.

Yeah I don't know, it seems to be holding it's own well for the time being, and i3 > 8350? I've had similar performance or even better then some i5's not the higher end new gen ones but still. Eh, I trust your opinion but odd.

Yeah I don't know, it seems to be holding it's own well for the time being, and i3 > 8350? I've had similar performance or even better then some i5's not the higher end new gen ones but still. Eh, I trust your opinion but odd.
I recently put a Skylake i3 in my 9yos PC and before that I tossed it in my current rig for a bit of playing around and testing. In gaming Intel has been ahead of the game and more cores is definitely not the answer for gaming (and SMT does jack squat for gaming). To have kind of a difference look at the Intel frame rates compared to the 8350. Most of this info is comparable to what an i3 would do because IPC is generally the same across the board. Specifically in 1080p, where the GPU isn't taking 99% of the workload like in 4k (where I linked). The CSGO 1080p comparison really shows the difference between the IPC of a Skylake/Kaby Lake chip and the 8350. Like, big time. Obviously your numbers would be lower but the difference would be similar at 1060 levels.

https://youtu.be/9wJQEHNYE7M?t=415

Edit: It doesn't really matter since you already made your purchase. Your 8350 will be fine just something to think about later down the road. I was only saying this as a "you should probably know" kind of thing.

Okay thank you the information is defidently appreciated. And yeah I saw that video when it was launched. And yeah I was aware it wasn't a top end chip, and is something to think about down the road. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Proud

Okay thank you the information is defidently appreciated. And yeah I saw that video when it was launched. And yeah I was aware it wasn't a top end chip, and is something to think about down the road. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Proud
It's a 5 year old chip on an older platform, that's one of the biggest deal breakers.

I have a amd 6300 6-core cpu paired with a gtx 1060 6 GB video card and their is nothing I can't play. Every game I try including the newer hi-end games, I can play on the high graphics settings at framerates well above 60. In my opinion, I would go with the 1060

Back
Top Bottom