GPU upgrade?

fais7

Baseband Member
(Not sure if this fits this section)

Current Setup
Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD7
Processor: Intel i7 930 (overclocked to 3.7 with H100 water cooler)
Memory: 18GB
GPU: Gigabyte GTS250
HDD: 2*256 SSD (Raid 0 setup) + 1TB WD black edition

My computer has started freezing up now and then when I play videos online (mainly connected to instavideos and vine). I've zeroed it down to it being flash connected (since flash players make it crash most of the time) and disabling hardware acceleration hasn't helped. Reinstalled flash didn't help either so unless I'm mistaken I think the GPU is dying. My only doubt is that when I play Tribes Ascend (high quality at 1920*1200 resolution), I have zero issues. I haven't played any other game lately so can't compare but I've run COD, Battlefield, Dirt 3 and Crysis 2 on the machine earlier with no issues (even if not at full quality).

So is it GPU and if yes, what do I upgrade to? (I use adobe software on a daily basis while I'd call myself a casual gamer)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Running a stress test right now and CPU temps maxing out at 63'C (after 25mins) at 100%. Idle is usually around 40'C. Will let it run for a few more hours to see if any errors pop up.

Nah don't need to any longer, as it isn't CPU stability or temps.

Turn all background programs off including A/V, Steam, messengers, whatever and see if it still happens.

Edit: Oh and go to the bottom of Youtube page and click try something new! Then click HTML5 and if you're using it get off it.

YouTube videos play perfectly fine all the time and HTML5 isn't enabled. Loaded up my instagram timeline and played the first video I came across and the computer froze up immediately. Left the computer in that state for 20 minutes to see if it would come back but nothing happened. The same happens with other video players apart from Youtube like those only streaming places.

Just FYI.... Ran stress test for 3 hours. Max temp 65'C. Zero errors.

I was just checking out instagram on different browsers. Seems like it only happens with Google Chrome where it plays/loads choppy. Seems to be working fine with Internet Explorer smoothly. Installing Firefox now to see which way it performs. Update soon...

EDIT: Works fine with Firefox. Also found "Use hardware acceleration when available" enabled in Chrome which I though I had disabled. Video didn't hang after that. Will restart and try a few more times

Last edited:
"Use hardware acceleration when available" was enabled when I reinstalled chrome. Disabling that didn't make a difference. Choppy loading and then crashing ever other time. No such issues with either of the other browsers. The only extension running on Chrome is Google Docs which I don't think should be an issue.

Edit: Not the only one who seems to be having this issue : http://nerdanswer.com/answer.php?q=246482&sm=Answer added successfully!

Last edited:
Then the issue is most likely out of your hands. You can either use the site in another browser or continue experimenting with it. It's not hardware wise, and since the other browsers are fine it's just some glitch or issue with the site and Chrome.

Back
Top Bottom