GPU fan stopped working, need advise on new graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkh

Solid State Member
So I've been running this card (XFX GeForce 6800 PCI Express x16) for the past couple of years:

Newegg.com - XFX PVT42EUDE3 GeForce 6800XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I recently replaced my PSU, and while I was in there I noticed that the GPU fan has stopped spinning. I tried turning it by hand and it does not really want to turn at all. I don't use it for gaming, but I have two 22" monitors that I love using simultaneously.

I began the search for a replacement graphics card, and came across this one:

Newegg.com - MSI N94GT-MD512 GeForce 9400 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

It has a VGA, DVI, and HDMI output. Does this mean I can run three monitors from this one card? Granted, I would have to get a monitor that accepts HDMI, but is it possible? Would a $50 card be able to handle running three large monitors simultaneously?

It might be cheaper if you just bought a GPU heatsink.
Would a $50 card be able to handle running three large monitors simultaneously?
It would be able to display three desktop, but running three games at the same time it would likely struggle greatly (depending on the game of course).

I don't game at all, guys.

I just realized something, though. I was limiting my search for a new graphics card on Newegg to PCI Express x16, and not including PCI 2.0 Express x16 because my Mobo is slotted for PCI Express x16. I used Google a little and found that the two are compatible with one another. I guess if I go for a new card I will get a PCI-E 2.0 x16.

Any suggestions?

Getting a PCI-E 2.0 card is fine, we're still quite a way off of reaching the bandwidth of PCI-E 1.0.
I would love to see someone who could play 3 games at the same time.
That's easy o_O Provided each game is fine with other games being maximised too (i.e. not Empire: Total War). Or do you mean actually actively playing each one? I suppose something turn-based would only work then :p

I suppose something turn-based would only work then

nah, he is playing 3 first person shooters at the same time. One mouse in the right hand, one mouse in the left hand, and one mouse in the....................foot.

I don't game at all, guys.

I just realized something, though. I was limiting my search for a new graphics card on Newegg to PCI Express x16, and not including PCI 2.0 Express x16 because my Mobo is slotted for PCI Express x16. I used Google a little and found that the two are compatible with one another. I guess if I go for a new card I will get a PCI-E 2.0 x16.

Any suggestions?

if you don't game then you don't need anything big. What is the maximum you want to spend?

Thanks for the recommendations. I've been trying to decide between upgrading to a new card and getting a Zalman VF700-Cu VGA cooler for the card I have.

The things I'm seeing when comparing the two you recommended to the one I have:

My card has 256MB of GDDR3 at 256-bit while the two you recommended have 1GB of GDDR2 at 128-bit. Which is better? Using two 22" monitors, will I see an improvement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom