Got beef with fx 5500?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crysalis

Systems Engineer
Well, i need a new video card. My system just crashed BIG TIME. Anyways, i'm doing alot of upgrades. Right now, the only video card that will work in my system is a 4mb AGP card from SiS. LOL The system in my sig is no longer :-(

A tech guy gave me a new mobo and processor for free (same speed tho). He also sold me a gig of ram for it. My WD 200gb HD crashed after that so i got a 120gb seagate. Now the only problem i have left is my computer will not boot to the desktop with my mx 4000 vid card. Worked fine before, but i think i need to upgrade it anyway unless someone has an idea whats causing this problem. If i have my PCI mx 4000 installed, windows will start to load and the screen shuts off when the welcome screen is supposed to come on. After about 2 minutes, the computer restarts. If i put the AGP 4mb card in, works great.

Dunno. I think i'll upgrade anyway... i need it. I was wondering if this looks ok. I'm not a huge gamer anymore, but i do play games every so often. Is this a good deal/worth getting for an fx 5500
. I can't spend more than $100

http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0172734

I think you should focus on getting your PC stable right now. Then once it is, then decide what videocard you are going to buy.

Installing videocards is easy, yes, but you need to follow the correct path to get there.

1.) YOU MUST - Uninstall all Display Drivers and other drivers associated with your current videocard.

2.) SHUT DOWN - Install new videocard properly.

3.) Boot to BIOS - Make sure your MOBO is set to AGP not PCI. Configure AGP aperture if needed. Disable onboard video if enabled.

4.) Save > EXIT > Restart. Windows will recognize the new window card > Prompt to install drivers > Install Drivers > Restart

That's the way it's done. Removal of all old drivers is very important. Not doing so is mistake a lot of people make.

well, i got the card. I got the system stable, or so I thought. The card works great. The computer has been running fine... but... i left the house for a few hours and my sister came on. I asked her if she had any problems with it and she said it restarted on her. This is the SAME problem I had with the other system. Its like a whole new system (except PS, and the 2 cd/dvd drives) and its doin the same crap.

Power supply issue? Its an antec 350w. I shouldn't have any problems. Its fairly new too.

Sounds like a power supply issue to me... if you have a spare one (borrow one from a friend or something), you could swap them and see if the other one works in your system. Otherwise, you can always get out the multimeter and start testing voltages. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom