got a basic dell for college ...want to do some gaming with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re: got a basic dell for college ...want to do some gaming with it

macdude425 said:
Well, you are going to need a new video card, and as far as I can tell, the 4600 has an AGP slot,

Yes I just looked at the 4600 owners manual, and it does have an AGP slot, which is a good thing (and a rare thing for a dell)

The only other thing is that you have to make sure your PSU can handle a decent card.

usually i read somewhere where dell rips the AGp slots or PCie16 slots out or does something so you cant buy a card. his psu is probably 150W of nothing. then that means you will probably have to buy a whole new case if you buy a whole new psu. which means i dont think you can get your mobo out, can you? new mobo then. lol then new processor. then a whole new computer lol

Naw, he'll be able to get somekind of AGP card. A friend of mine uses an AGP card and plays CS: source, but I don't know what card.

i would recommend a 6600GT but you wuold really need to change the psu. if its under 350W but for my 9800pro it said needed over 350W but i USED a 280W power supply. now i got my new system, but it worked for about a month, then i got m new system so im guessing it will work...? 6600GT might use more power maybe. so im just saying go get the 6600GT plug it in and see if it works dont forget to plug it directly into your psu

so 1GB of identical RAM and a good card that fits my power supply...which I will check in a few.

Thanks guys so far.

Rgr that. I think your PSU is a little on the weak side, but you'll be able to get some AGP card, maybe not a great one but something decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom