Good (Used) sound card for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordo_99

Daemon Poster
hey, I've got a chance to get a "Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS" for pretty cheap ($25-30) and I might get it.

It is used, but I'm wondering if this will be a good card for gaming? I'm specifically interested in how it performs with Source games (CS:S, DoD:S...the steam games). I'm planning on getting a new sound card for gaming, and it this is pretty decent then I'll jump on it right away.

I'm reading reviews on the card, but I'd also like to hear some personal experiences and stuff.

Thanks

(EDIT)

oops...I thought I was posting into the "Buidling, Buying...etc" Forums...sorry (if a mod could move this for me I'm appreciate it a lot)

Any sound card is better than onboard. All sound cards do the same, offload the sound off the cpu, and isolate it from the mobo, resluting in better sound and performance, and better sound quality.

ok, well how about I do this...I'll post the sound card I've got now and if you could, let me know if the Audigy 2 ZS is better than it...etc

mine:
Newegg.com - CHAINTECH AV-710 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards

upgrade?:
Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS SB0350 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards

on paper (specs) they look pretty similar, but I know that the Audigy 2 has EAX which would probably help in online FPS. Also, I don't think my chaintech has a CPU built into it...so it'll still be using resources.

BASICALLY, I'm going to be getting some really nice 5.1 headphones and I want a sound card to be able to get a really good music/gaming sound system for my headphones...if my current card can do that then I'm fine, but if not I'm not worried about spending $100 for a really nice sound card, but i'd rather get this one if it can get the job done.

I'm no expert but I have an AUdigy 2 ZS and it's great for games that support EAX. You really have to have a nice set of speakers to appreciate it, though. I've got just Logitech x-240's and it's pretty good but I've hooked up my old room mate's THX-certified Klipsch speakers before and it's a night and day difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom