Is this a good upgrade?

Jrod_34

Solid State Member
Hello, I am wanting to upgrade my pc so I can get a better performance out of it. I was recommended some parts and before I buy them I want to make sure they are suitable to give me a better gaming performance.

My current gaming pc is 4 years old with no upgrade parts:

This computer is an IBUYPOWER- I-Series 301
Specs-
CPU- AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad Core 3.80 GHz
RAM- 8 GB
GPU- GeForce GT 610
Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
HDD- Toshiba DT01ACA200
Power Supply- Allied SL-8320BTX

I will be upgrading the cpu, gpu, power supply, and adding an ssd

Upgrades:

CPU- AMD FX-8320E Eight-Core Vishera Processor 3.2GHz Socket AM3+
GPU- AMD RX 480 (when released)
SSD- SanDisk Ultra II 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SDSSDHII-240G-G2
Power Supply- Thermaltake 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

I want to make sure this looks like it will do good!

correction**

Upgraded psu- Thermaltake PS-TPD-0850MPCGUS-1 850W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Modular Power Supply

The CPU should be fine, just make sure your CPU cooler is up to the task.

The 480 will be a decent GPU but AFAIK we don't know when it'll be released. I haven't been paying too much attention to it.

If you're going with a 480 you won't need 850W unless you're getting it cheap.

I don't really see anything wrong with what you have selected. I just honestly wouldn't get a 4 year old AMD FX processor with what's coming out these days but I can see why you would.

I see what you mean by the 4 year old processor but it is still better than the one I have now, also the 480 will be released at the end of this month. Also I am getting the 850w Psu for only $70!

Honestly, I'd just spend the money and get an i5 instead of upgrading a dead platform. You could even get a Skylake i3 for the same money as the 8320 and still perform better on games. You can get 8GB of DDR4 for like 30 bucks, and a cheap H110 board for around 40 and spend the same 120 on the i3 and then your rig is up to date and you can get an M.2 SSD instead for about the same money. It'll be better in the end because then you have real upgrade options later. Once Kaby comes out later this year people will be dumping their Skylake CPUs for cheap (because people are stupid).

I would say go Haswell so you can retain your DDR3, but looking at Haswell board prices it'd be pretty dumb unless you went used but I think DDR4 is slightly cheaper than DDR3 now anyways.

Edit2:
Another option depending on if you're ok with it or not, is grabbing a used Sandy or Ivy platform. I've seen i7 2600ks go for like 75 bucks in my area. It's a stretch, but idk what kind of budget you're dealing with so tossing ideas. I know i7 and 3960x sound beefy because 6 cores, but even a 2500k these days goes a long ways and I don't intend on upgrading my stuff for a while either. Games are primarily GPU bound if you're 1080p or above.

Last edited:
So I would be better off getting a skylarks i3 and an m.2 ssd instead of the ones listed? What are the differences

Would this be the right one?
Intel Core i3-6100 Skylake Processor 3.7GHz 8.0GT/s 3MB LGA 1151 CPU, Retail

Firstly, use the edit button. Please don't double post, or worse quadruple post.

So I would be better off getting a skylarks i3 and an m.2 ssd instead of the ones listed? What are the differences
Intel processors have much higher single threaded performance than any AMD CPU right now. So yes, you'd be better off with that. You can get M.2 SSDs in different flavors, SATA and PCI-E. PCI-E SSDs are much faster, and the SATA M.2 SSDs have the same performance as the 2.5" ones that use a cable. The difference there is no cables going to your storage drive.

And I don't think I'm going to upgrade my board or ram just yet because how much these 4 components are costing me
You can get the i3 for the same cost as the 8320 you were going to purchase, and the board/RAM to go with it for about 80 bucks. The platform upgrade as a whole IMO is a much better investment than simply getting the 8320. It'll go better with the 480 later down the road too.

Also how do I know these are compatible?
Also how do I know the i3 and m.2 are compatible with my rig?

Your current setup doesn't support the i3 as it's Intel, and your current board doesn't utilize M.2 You'd need to upgrade your board to support these two. If you decide to do this I'll link you the cheap parts to get started. For instance:

Intel Core i3-6100 3M 3.7 GHz LGA 1151 BX80662I36100 Desktop Processor - Newegg.com
GIGABYTE GA-H110M-A (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel H110 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
G.SKILL NS Series 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Memory Kit Model F4-2133C15S-8GNS - Newegg.com

That's a brand new platform for ~200 bucks that can easily be upgraded to an i5 and 16GB or 32GB of RAM later. That particular board doesn't have an M.2 slot though.

Here's a slightly more expensive board that does have an M.2 slot though.
GIGABYTE GA-B150M-D3H (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel B150 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

Edit:
Seriously, please edit your posts.

Wouldn't it be better to get a cpu with more cores or am I misinformed?
I explain here why more cores is not the answer.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/your-cpu-modern-games-guide-those-building-261626/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom