Is this good for a HTPC

Status
Not open for further replies.

masteroc

In Runtime
So i was thinking that it was about time to take on this project that ive been thinking about for a few months (building a HTPC). At first i was going to build a cool shuttle pc with an intel core 2 duo and 1tb of space....till i realized that i didnt have the funds =p. But what i do have is an older p4 machine. The specs are this:

Intel Pentium 4 2.4ghz
512mb memory
60gb hd (have a spare 60 and 120 id add in there)
Intel motherboard
Nvidia 5500gt 128mb graphics card

Normally id think that these specs were really low, but im not gonna be using no fancy Vista with this, im gonna be using a mythv linux variant (mythbuntu or knoppmyth). So do you guys think that this will be able to record a show while i watch live tv, and also be able to record 2 shows at once (it will have 2 tv cards in it....still not sure which ones though)?

Thanks

the p4 should be fine...get some more ram though, if ya can.
are you thinking a quite htpc or doesn't really matter? if it doesnt matter, put in as many fans as you can in whatever case you end up picking :D

i really would like it to be quiet, and right now it is pretty quiet even with the fans in there. so far it doesnt have any kinda of heat problem, so why do you suggest to load it up with fans?

it's the potential...not sure how you'll use it ;)
you have 2 tuners that will be recording 2 shows at a time...I think that and the p4 will produce a lot of heat
the heat that the system generates probably would not effect it's performance...but may in the long run shorten it's lifespan...but that's if it really matters

yea your probably right, but i think ill run it for a while and see how hot it gets with everyday usage. I really want to keep the noise level down a bit. I took your advice and put in 1gb of memory. any other suggestions?

P.S. can this setup handle HD content??

might be able to do 720p smoothly...you can dl the wmv hd clips from microsoft to test :D

i'm at home on dialup now so not going to go check info :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom