Good deal on Dual Core Intel Pentium D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiGyLiLuPdAmIdL

Vinsanity
At Fry's electronics by my house they have a special for an Intel Pentium D Dual Core processor and an ECS RC410L/800-M Motherboard.

Here are the specs for the CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116001

For the mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135223

I wanted to upgrade my AMD rig right now so i can get a pci-E videocard, btu this deal looks good, What do you guys think about it. I liek how it is dual core thats the main reason while I am actually considering it. I got a quick question though, Why are Intel Dual cores so much cheaper than AMD's? They are almost like $200 cheaper. When I I look at the specs they don't seam too far off. Is this a good deal on this combo or is the cpu not so good?

Generally ECS mobos are not the best quality. That mobo does have a decent rating on Newegg, but the review I read on PC Quest was less than great.

pcrobot said:
Generally ECS mobos are not the best quality. That mobo does have a decent rating on Newegg, but the review I read on PC Quest was less than great.

My brother only uses ECS, and has had the best experience with them. Compare that to his two Asus's that went out and an Abit that came DOA, you can see that ECS is on the same level of quality as some of these major brands.

Don't be scared that it's not Asus, Abit, Gigabyte, DFI, MSI, etc.
It can still be top quality.

$130 for both cpu and mobo is a great deal. 2.66 ghz seems a bit low tho.. but probably having dual core will make it seem faster.. depending on what you plan on doing with your comp, this can be a good way to go.

Ya thatn guys and I thought 2.66 was a little low too, bu then i read the reviews how people were o/cing thwir to liek 4.0ghz and 3.8ghz. As long as I can get mine to like 3.0 or 3.2 then I'll be happy. Hopefully the mobo will let me get to 3.0. Im not too worried about the ECS mobo because on my last rig I had a PC Chips mobo with a sempron. It wasn't too bad and it lasted me for a long time, I'm still using it today too as my second computer in my room for when friends come over so we can play LAN, and other stuff.

Because you see, I've always been an AMD fan, btu now that i have a job this summer i want to build a new rig, but still use some of my old parts from thsi comp. If i am going to build a new rig I want to go dual core and since AMD's cheapest dual cores are liek $300 I'd rather pay only $130 and get a free decent mobo with the cpu. It is goign to be used for gaming, It's going to be my main rig. This is what I had in mind for this computer.
Intel Pentium D 805

ECS RC410L/800-M 2.0 Motherboard

Patriot Signature Seris 2x512 DDR2 667 RAM

Seagate 250gb SATA 150 HDD

eVGA 7600gt

Fortron Source 450watt PSU

I have also read about those 805s being able to overclock nicely. Although ECS mobos are fine for regular use, I don't know how well they would support overclocking. I would check the OCing capabilities of that mobo before you go ahead and build.

Ya I reread the user reviews on the CPU, and this one guy got his Pentium D 805 ( Same as the one in the bundle) to 3.3ghz. I guess its alrite at o/cing but nothing special. If i could get the cpu to 3.3 though then I'd be happy. I can always just buy it and use the mobo for a whiel until i have more money to upgrade again, and then get a good Asus board or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom