Go with vista 64 bit, or go with xp home

Status
Not open for further replies.

av8706

Solid State Member
Ok I have finally decided to purchase parts in order to build my own computer. I am going with the 4 gigs of ram from a-data since newegg has such a good deal on the ram :D. Now the the reason I am asking whether I should go with xp home eddition or vista home 64-bit edition for an operating system is because of the ram I am purchasing. In some of the reviews for the ram it said that non 64-bit OS's will have only 3 gb of ram detected from the 4 gb of a-data ram. And since the only other OS that is affordable and is 64-bit is windows vista I was wondering whether I should buy it, but I am hesitent because I heard it had compatibility issues with todays hardware and software (and not to mention its a memory hogger). Below is a link to the vista os and my newegg wishlist which has the parts I am purchasing. Also tell me if the motherboard might actually cause problems with the ram.

Vista os: Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Basic for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

My wishlist:
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...ber=7728468&WishListTitle=new+plan+for+av8706

PS: Please reply asap so I can buy what I need while supplies last!

I'd get 64-bit... but it will probably be more work in getting older software and games to work.

I would get XP personally. You can always upgrade to vista. Vista currently is still having issues and problems with the OS. Microsoft is even focusing more on producing a newer OS more so than actually producing service packs for vista. With that said, just stick with XP, the main difference is the added visual features and slightly enhanced security. Just go download some cool themes, even some vista themes, and use them on XP and run some spyware programs (I suggest the programs on the virus and spyware section of the forum). I just dont see myself or would recommend it to another if the company is not proud of the product they are producing.

the way i figure it, is that eventually everyone is going to have to switch to Vista, so why not do it now? and besides it might have some bugs still, but not as much as when it first came out, and many people use it now.

the way i figure it, is that eventually everyone is going to have to switch to Vista, so why not do it now? and besides it might have some bugs still, but not as much as when it first came out, and many people use it now.

Your right in the fact that it is getting better; however, what is wrong with xp? Are there any bugs or problems with it? Has there been major updates for it (e.g. Sp1 and 2)? Therefore, I dont understand why you would switch from a bug free OS to a new one that is full of them. My recommendation is XP until a SP comes out. Then I will debate on switching. It just makes me wonder why MS is working on a new OS and not working on improving vista.

Do you already have xp home? If you do then just use that. I thought you didn't have any OS. If you don't have any OS and you are just about to buy XP Home, then trust me, just get Vista. You probably will buy Vista later on anyways. Besides the SP should come out soon and when it does come out, you'll get it for free.

If you can get a hold of it for a cheap price, xp pro is the way to go until vista is a bit more stable, and more programs are compatible with it.

basically, Vista for DX10 gaming, XP if you don't plan to. If you think ur gonna get Vista anyway in the future, get that now so you don't spend another $100 on an os.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom