gfx card replacement gone haywire

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwiz

MechEng Extraordinaire
typing this on ps3,sry 4 shortness
replacing 7900gt w/ x1950. 7900gt is fried. computer boots except for 3-4 beeps @ post instead of one.
no video at all w x1950 installe. 1950 gets very hot.
ithink it might be driver conflict but how do i fix w/o video!
thx

Ok, I'm on a real computer now, i can give more details....

So there is no signal going to the monitor at all. The monitor just sits in power save mode the whole time.

The fan on the new gfx card works which leads me to believe i hooked up the power correctly.

I figured i could at least get into VGA mode or safe mode to change up the drivers, but no luck.

My Rig:
MoBo: MSI K8 Neo4-F (PCB 3.0)
Ram: Kingston value select 2GB
Proc: AMD 3800+ X2
PSU: Antec TruPower 550W
HD: OS - 36GB Raptor
Media - 500 GB Seagate

A fresh install of windows has a default graphics driver on it, so that it should be able to recognize the monitor to set up the rest of the stuff. That leads me to believe that it's something else.

Check to make sure you pushed the cable in far enough on the port. Also, you can try the onboard graphics and see if you get similar or different results.

i thought it would go to default VGA graphics w/o a fresh install.

No onboard graphics with my msi board :( i would have done that already.

I would have done the reinstall of windows, but i'm not getting anything out my my gfx card right now. it doesnt show the msi logo, no memory check, no windows load screen, nada. but it sounds like it is going through the boot sequence, just w/o the video output.

at this rate, i figure if i try and reinsall windows, it isnt going to display it. i cant even see my bios.

i'll give it a try when i get home. i assume you mean make sure its installed properly... i'll pop it out and put it back in... maybe try one at a time incase a stick got fried

Yep try each stick at a time. Also give them a clean with an eraser, rub the gold contacts on the bottom of the RAM, and also clean the slots out with a brush

well if he's getting no display then fresh installing windows is near impossible, I havnt seen anything written about possibly trying your old GPU to chen that the PCI-E slot isn't fried as well, I doubt its a ram failure unless you have been extremely unlucky.

i messed with the ram... nothing worked. i hope its not the mobo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom