Getting this new custom PC started - help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThrillRyder23

Baseband Member
I've done this before but it has been a few years since I've built my own PC or even kept up with the technology. I read up a lot on the new components out there and decided this was to be my new setup (my question/problem will be posted after the specs).

Asus p6t deluxe lga intel x58
intel 920 (core i7)
thermaltake w0116ru 750w
WD caviar black 640gb
LG Liteon DVD drive (everything)
Corsair 6gb (3x2gb) 240 pin triple channel ram pc3 10666 ddr3 1333
MSI 9600GT 512mb
Creative Audigy fat1lity titanium

Everything installed into the case and mobo with no issues. Everything from what I have read appears to be perfectly compatible also.

Heres the problem:
I've just setup the BIOS but I'm trying to install my new Windows XP Pro (SP2) with a CD but it won't ever bot up. Should I be pressing any specific function keys at any particular time?

Also, i was able to get to the windows boot screen ONCE (only once) and it was the first time I tried installing the OS (have tried to install several times after but have failed to even boot it up all other times).When it was booting it went through the typical load processes and before I could even get to the part where I partition my hard drive it told me that it had failed and stopped to prevent something from happening. It was a blue screen obviously and it said to check all hardware for compatibility issues and things like that (typical response I assume).

Whenever I try and boot it up now it just sits at a dark black screen completely unresponsive to any key entries (a white blinking cursor is the only thing present).

I have checked all my cabling and everything seems to be in order hardware wise in the PC but I just don't know how to proceed from here. Any and all help would be appreciated greatly. Thanks in advance.

Well...

You've checked your cables - Yes.
You've never made it through the complete install?

You mentioned that you partitioned your hard drives, that means you succesfully booted the windows disk and made it to the screen to install on the drive.

I don't know what you might be doing wrong, i'd start with the bios, set your dvd-rom drive to boot first, then put the disc in. That should get you started and regardless of anything else, it will boot from the disc.

Go through all of the typical set up things, I'd delete the previous partitions, re-partition them, then format the partition. This places the install files onto the partition and also becomes the second thing your motherboard boots from.

From there you'll run through the same installation process of SP2.

Question - Are you using 64bit? Seeing your 6GB of ram go to waste is kind of silly to me.

I looked at your system spec's and everything seem's almost normal but 2 things might be the problem....

(MSI 9600GT 512mb, Creative Audigy fat1lity titanium)

If you have onboard sound and video remove those temporarily and reboot the pc.
Wipe your XP CD with a lint free papertowel and make sure there are no finger prints on it that would make the XP installation startup and processing from working right.

The reason why I pointed out those 2 hardwares because you said you got a BSOD right ? I am thinking those might be the problem and XP is also loading too much information about your system and doesn't know very much about the newly installed hardware inside your system.

Try out those tips I pointed out and your XP installation should go just fine.

-MadMikeXP-

I'll try setting the bios boot settings to CDrom primary startup.

I'll also remove the sound card for now like you suggested but there is no on board video so that shouldn't be an issue.

These seem like they could be the solution - it makes sense because there are no other bad signs with the computer that I can see.

Also in part response to the first responder - I didn't make it to the partition section of the process. It stopped right before that part.

Oh also, yes I do realize I'm running a 32 bit OS with more RAM then is supported.

I figured I would be upgrading the OS faster then the RAM anyway so why not just keep the RAM where I would like to have it and keep it ready for when maybe windows 7 comes out or I feel like theres enough reason for vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom