getting more ram --> questions about power and compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

invisible_wall

Baseband Member
I have a friend who has some extra ram he's willing to sell but I'm wondering about compatibility and power. I haven't asked him yet on what kind they are exactly but how would I know whether they would work my current 2gb of ram? Would there be any problems with sychronization and stuff if they were made by a different company or were lower quality? My current ram is 2x1gb OCZ PC2-6400 DDR2-800 240pin.

Also, would I need to upgrade my power supply? My current one is a Corsair 520W ATX 12V. I have no clue how much of that my current setup uses.

rest of my specs:
Geforce 8800GT
Q6600
GA-EP35-DS3L ATX LGA775 mobo

I dont know about that but it is possible to increase your RAM additionally without having to buy additional ram from your USB driving by Eboostr.. A cool software.. let say if you plug in 1 gb usb drive you get 1 gb additional memory

Download Demo | CNET downloads

Regards,
Nicholas Francis

First off, you definitely don't need a new power supply for ram.

Secondly, the amount of RAM your computer can use depends on a few things.

-Motherboard: Every motherboard has a specific maximum ram amount and speed it supports. Your motherboard can go up to 8gb, so you're fine there.

-OS: If your OS is 64 bit, it can support basically any amount of RAM. If you're on 32 bit, you won't be able to use more than something like 3 gb of ram.

Now, you currently have RAM at 800 MHz. If you put in some more DDR2 ram that's clocked at 667, then I believe all of your ram will run at that speed. Which isn't such a bad thing though. If it's DDR2 800, then all of your RAM will run at that speed, which is good. You should be fine though. The fact that it's from different companies isn't recommended, but I don't think it would be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom