Generally, Whats the hottest a CPU should run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

climbjm

Solid State Member
In general... What is the "high" for a cpu that is running on a normal stress load?

the 3.4 gig prescott i have maxes out at 53c and i believe they are rated for up to 72c but i'd be concerned at anything over 65c
my amd 3700 runs maxed at 39c but being still new to amd i'm not sure on their max rating but i'd say no higher than 60c before i'd get worried

well it depends on the CPU.
Intel's Pentium 4 Prescott's can often hit 70 degrees (C), although they shouldn't run more tha about 75C

the Pentium 4 Northwood's shouldn't run more than about 60-65C

the Athlon 64's normally run at about 40C (or 50C if it's a dual core)
55C would be pretty high for an Athlon 64, or 60C if it's a dual core

Athlon XP's can operate between 60 and 70, although they really shouldn't. on stock cooling, they should be about 50-55.

oi, my old amd duron is getting pretty hot then! Whenever I'm rendering something for a bit, it gets to about 78-80 Celsius!! = O

awesome, thank you!

i finally got mine down to like 27 degrees cel and holding! It was at 77, and thats why I was asking. thanks!

wow! What tactics did you use to decrease your temperature so much? I'm ver interested into what you did! = D

lol, you are going to laugh...

My heat sync was sitting so far away from my processor, it was not even touching the grease so....

I sanded down (2 millimeters) the little plastic stubs (on the plastic heat sync base) so it sits closer to my motherboard, hence making it sitting closer to my processor. I also found an extra fan and rigged it up to blow on it from the side. i had an extra fan from an old 486!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom