Geforce FX5500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Nick

In Runtime
Hi Everybody,
I just got a new AGP Geforce FX5500 from best buy. This was a totally uninformed buy so now i'm wonderin how it compares to the rest of the Geforce Line. It's still in the plastic wrap so i believe i can take it back for annother one. I got this one for $50 but there was a Geforce 6200 (I think, could have been 6800) for $60. This is just to be able to play games like Halo and BF1942 untill i get the money to build a new computer. Price is a big part so these are the main 2 i'm looking at (unless you find a better one ;) )

Thanks

Dr Nick said:
Hi Everybody,
there was a Geforce 6200 (I think, could have been 6800) for $60.

it was a 6200. anyway, all i know is that the FX line from Nvidia pretty much sucks. i say return the 5500 and save up a little more money and invest in a much better card such as a radeon 9600

The FX 5500 is just a step above the FX 5200 which is the lowest end GeForce card available today. It will run todays games, but you will be dissapointed in its performance in newer ones such as F.E.A.R. and Call of Duty 2. Just take that card back, save, and get at least a 6600 GT. Never buy low-end cards from retail stores, they are ripoffs.

OK, I guess i have a trip to best buy in the future (i've been told this before, now i've seen it first hand: RETAIL STORE ASSOCIATES SUCK ! He told me this one was better) Well anyway, I think im just gonna get the 6600 (no need to spend big bucks on a card when im gonna spend $300 in the near future;) )

Hehe that will suffice for now, it's not the greatest but if you're saving for a future investment then that'll be fine.

That sounds like the kind of advice we get in PCWor** over here ;) He was working on comission anyway, I'm surprised he didn't try to get you to go for the more expensive one.

Dr Nick said:
RETAIL STORE ASSOCIATES SUCK ! He told me this one was better

Retail associates just say what their managers tell them to say. Remember they assume everybody is computer illiterate, and try to sell to that level of people.

Re: Re: Geforce FX5500

Jae said:
it was a 6200. anyway, all i know is that the FX line from Nvidia pretty much sucks. i say return the 5500 and save up a little more money and invest in a much better card such as a radeon 9600

My FX5500 can easily outperform a 9600PRO, it is just has a 20MHZ lower memory clock which I can easily just raise.

First of all, I assume your computer supports AGP, to my knowledge, anything higher than 6200 is not supported by AGP.

Upgrade man, and with a 300 dollar budget you can get a EVGA 7800GT.

There are video cards higher than 6200 that support AGP. I want a 60 dollar 6800 haha

That sounds like the kind of advice we get in PCWor** over here He was working on comission anyway, I'm surprised he didn't try to get you to go for the more expensive one.

Oh he did, some $150 one. I think once he figured out i knew what i was talking about he deropped his sales pitch though. Kinda stopped talking and just looked at the boxes on the shelf:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom