Gateway solo 1200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rounder07

Beta member
Ok, I do know somewhat about computers, but i have a few questions maybe someone will be willing to gelp me with. I recieved a Gateway solo 1200 series today for free....The CD rom drive on it does not like to open on its on...so I have gently opened it a few times to instal a DSL modem cd...it also doesnt like to run on its own, I have to push slightly on top of the drive itself to get it to play....well all toeghter I would like to replace the drive with a DVD/rw CD/rw drive...any sugestions on what I sound buy? I would also like to upgrade the memory and hard drive curently it has 120mb ram, and a 10 gb hard drive...is it possible for me to upgrade these ..and what is a recomended brand? I understand I can buy external drives is this Ok also? Any help would be appreciated...thankyou.

-R

Any NEC or Samsung DVD/RW drive will do (get an IDE model, not SATA).

You can get any IDE hard disk. Seagate and Western Digital are very popular brands.

I would not get an external hard disk. It's gonna be slow as **** (especially if the system doesn't have USB 2.0)

so would this be something to look into buying?

Samsung Slim 8x Double Layer DVD+/-RW Drive Bulk w/Software Black SN-S082D/BEBN

Interface: IDE (Ultra ATA/DMA-33)
Type of Drive: DVD+-RW Dual Layer Combination Drive
Internal/External: Internal
System Type: PC
DVD+R DL Speed: 6 X (DVD, DVD-R)
DVD-R DL Speed: 6 X (DVD, DVD-R)

would this work and be easy to instal? would ther be a good place to find docs. on installing cd drives in a lap top on the internet?

thank you for your help.

yes i understand you are right...but why would i buy something if it is not compatible with my computer...thats why im asking, I would hate to spend my money and time on something that doesnt work.

Just buy a cheap dvd burner, I got an LG dvd burner for 40 bucks about 2 weeks ago.

If i were you, i would go for USB External components

get a USB HUB
an External hard drive
an External DVD-RW

use the internal 10mb ONLY for the operating system, and the external (size of your choise) as your files ect....

and definately upgrade that ram!

Rounder07 said:
yes i understand you are right...but why would i buy something if it is not compatible with my computer...thats why im asking, I would hate to spend my money and time on something that doesnt work.

drives are universal. theyre not like ram or cpus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom