Gaming Computer with some Questions! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Gaming Computer with some Questions!

All items for the system are from I found that after comparing it with Newegg and Amazon, that it came out as the cheapest build, with the exact components on each site.

*GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
*i7-950 CPU
*GTX 470 1.2gb GPU
*6GB Corsair XMS3 Triple Channel 1600mHz RAM
*Corsair TX750W PSU
*HAF 922 Mid-Tower Case
*Western Digital 500GB HD (I really don't need more space tbh.)
*Asus 24x Internal DVD/CD RW Would like a different brand, actually, and if possible at a similar price
*Ci73 Keyboard I like the laptop-like keyboards
*Asus 24" HDMI Monitor Once again Asus isn't my favorite, but if there are any others that are similar in price and composition, that would be sweet!

And from Newegg for a cheaper price:
*Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

**I am also getting Arctic Silver 5 for my CPU heatsink.

Computers Purpose: The setup is pretty much primarily for gaming, mostly MMO-types (WoW, DDO, Diablo 3 if you can call it an MMO) and Starcraft 2.

1) Am I overspending for the type of computer it's going to be? I would like to be able to run pretty much any above mentioned program on the highest settings and still get nice framerates.

2) (Possibly a stupid question) I don't need a sound card or LAN card, right? They come with the motherboard?

3) Are there any immediate changes to be made given the information I've given? Like I said I'm not a fan of ASUS, so I could find something else, they are more for reference for now, but those are the only 2 that I have any concern about, aside from me overpaying.

**I would like this, or any fixes to make it cheaper, to also be future proof. I would like to be able to upgrade without problems so I'm not having to buy entire setups every couple of years.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: Gaming Computer with some Questions!

Your build is fine, nothing that would need to be changed except maybe the HDD and adding a CPU fan for better cooling.

your build is similar to mine and i love it. good choice of mother board, case and cpu. i would get a Caviar black Western digital just because they are a bit faster and not too much more expensive.

and if you can spend some money on a cpu cooler like this

Cooler Master Hyper N520 CPU Cooler - Socket LGA 775, AM2, AM2+, 1156, AM3, 1366 at

Noctua NH-U9B SE2 CPU Cooler - Corei5, i7, 775, AM2, AM2+, AM3, SecuFirm Multi-socket Mounting System at (better if you have the extra money)

the one that comes with the 950 is crapola.

For what you need this computer for it will be enough and be good for a while, you wont have to worry about the LAN or the sound card as they are built into the motherboard.
`Core i7 950 || `Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Mobo
`Cooler Master V6 CPU Cooler || `G.Skill 1600Mhz 6gb DDr3
`Saphire Radeon HD 6870 1gb || `2x WD Caviar Black 640gb RAID 0
`Cooler Master HAF 922 || `Corsair 750HX PSU
Closed Thread