Gaming Comp Opinions - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Bulldog
 
zmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In an empty Ramen packet
Posts: 4,660
Default Re: Gaming Comp Opinions

Inno3d sounds like a brand specific to Australia. Asus us much better known and respected. And even though they do cost more you don;t have to worry about quality. I am very hesitant to recommend brands I have never heard of or used.

The P6T+Core i7 will give you much more umph than the Phenom will. And x58 gives a choice between crossfire and sli. What are your ati card options? in America the 4890 is a great deal.
__________________

__________________


ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
zmatt is offline  
Old 07-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
S0ULphIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,672
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Gaming Comp Opinions

^I've owned two other Inno3d cards. both worked fine, and managed to withstand my noobish overclocking attempts (never been much good with oc'ing gpus)
So all in all I suppose I'm pretty pleased with them, and I would have no problem recommending them.
__________________

__________________
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline  
Old 07-07-2009, 12:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
enigm@tic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 393
Default Re: Gaming Comp Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
^I just built a new system recently, also got parts from msy (which is I'm assuming where you're buying from)

I got the Asus P6T, it's GREAT. Does everything I want, and I love that it includes an eSata port on the back.

I went with the Inno3d GTX 285. I looked up the cards, they all have exactly the same specs. Only differences are in the physical design of the cards/cooling I suppose. Not worth the extra cash just for 'Asus' to be written on the card.
for the ram I got the G.Skill PI set, apparently it was the last set you might have to settle for the NQ set. timings are a little rough, but hey they're passable.
Also, if you're getting the i7 920 I suggest you don't get it from MSY. veedub is selling a couple of D0 i7's for 300US shipped. Comes to around 377AU bucks. Grab yourself one of those.
Yep MSY is where I am getting most parts. If I can't get the G.skill PI set should I go with corsair or it doesn't make much difference either way?

What is the veedub site? I googled it and couldn't find it. Thanks for the advice about the gfx card too, will be saving me a bit of money.

I found this site which was pretty good for prices NetPlus Micro Computers - Cheapest Computers - Perth Western Australia their in perth too so you probably already know them.
enigm@tic is offline  
Old 07-07-2009, 12:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
S0ULphIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,672
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Gaming Comp Opinions

yep, I know them. Don't really get much from them though.

lol, veedub isn't a site, he's a member. I've bought twice off him before, you can trust what he sells.
Veedub's i7 920's

As for your ram, the corsairs are good if you can afford them. Really the G.Skill NQ's don't belong in an i7 build with a gtx 285. So yeah, if you can go with the corsairs. They've still got the crap 9-9-9-24 timings, but the extra 400Mhz should help to make up for that.

Honestly I'm not too impressed with either set, if I were you I'd take another last look around to see if there's anything better going. I doubt you'll find anything in Aus tho
__________________
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline  
Old 07-07-2009, 12:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
enigm@tic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
Inno3d sounds like a brand specific to Australia. Asus us much better known and respected. And even though they do cost more you don;t have to worry about quality. I am very hesitant to recommend brands I have never heard of or used.

The P6T+Core i7 will give you much more umph than the Phenom will. And x58 gives a choice between crossfire and sli. What are your ati card options? in America the 4890 is a great deal.
2GB 4870x2 Gigabyte (VIC, NSW Only) $589 --- is that dual?
1GB 4890 Powercolor $278 /Gigabyte $309/XFX $285


Why is ATI much cheaper than Nvidia chipsets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
yep, I know them. Don't really get much from them though.

lol, veedub isn't a site, he's a member. I've bought twice off him before, you can trust what he sells.
Veedub's i7 920's

As for your ram, the corsairs are good if you can afford them. Really the G.Skill NQ's don't belong in an i7 build with a gtx 285. So yeah, if you can go with the corsairs. They've still got the crap 9-9-9-24 timings, but the extra 400Mhz should help to make up for that.

Honestly I'm not too impressed with either set, if I were you I'd take another last look around to see if there's anything better going. I doubt you'll find anything in Aus tho
Thanks man, just pm'd him. Had a look at corsair and too expensive.. I'll find some g.skill-PI.
enigm@tic is offline  
Old 07-07-2009, 01:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
S0ULphIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,672
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Gaming Comp Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigm@tic View Post
2GB 4870x2 Gigabyte (VIC, NSW Only) $589
Why is ATI much cheaper than Nvidia chipsets?
that card is the best, second only to the GTX 295. However, I find the drivers for Nvidia's cards a heap better than ATI's. I've only owned one hi-end ATI card before, and it was great. The only thing was the driver support was lacking. I'd stick with the GTX 285

edit: oh, and your first psu will do you fine. It's got a nice amount of amperage, nice efficiency levels too.
__________________
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline  
Old 07-07-2009, 03:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
hikaricloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 6,220
Default Re: Gaming Comp Opinions

As a random injection here, I know Guru3D.com reviews some Inno3D stuff, and they seem alright.
__________________
R.I.P. Ronald C. "Bucky" Buck
3/13/1949 - 11/30/2010
Poizen22 - in all honesty id prefetr my pics get passed around then send perform some homo erotic sexual deed.
thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
hikaricloud is offline  
Old 07-07-2009, 04:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
enigm@tic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 393
Default Re: Gaming Comp Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
that card is the best, second only to the GTX 295. However, I find the drivers for Nvidia's cards a heap better than ATI's. I've only owned one hi-end ATI card before, and it was great. The only thing was the driver support was lacking. I'd stick with the GTX 285

edit: oh, and your first psu will do you fine. It's got a nice amount of amperage, nice efficiency levels too.
So do you think even considering not much price increase the gtx 285 is still a better buy than the 4870x2? How does the performance from each compare?

btw regarding the drivers on the ATI, if it's not going to work with all games then I probably wont buy it.
enigm@tic is offline  
Old 07-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: Gaming Comp Opinions

AMD's driver's have really improved over the past few updates (even the past few years), some of the cards that were originally equal in performance to Nvidia cards, now beat them in most (fair) situations, the HD 4870 and the C216 for example.

I'd go with the HD 4870X2 because the GTX 285 is slower in most games and definitely not worth paying extra over. (but the hd 4870X2 does run quite a bit hotter, so watch those temps and maybe try to get the best warranty one)
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 07-07-2009, 10:55 AM   #20 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
enigm@tic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 393
Default Re: Gaming Comp Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
AMD's driver's have really improved over the past few updates (even the past few years), some of the cards that were originally equal in performance to Nvidia cards, now beat them in most (fair) situations, the HD 4870 and the C216 for example.

I'd go with the HD 4870X2 because the GTX 285 is slower in most games and definitely not worth paying extra over. (but the hd 4870X2 does run quite a bit hotter, so watch those temps and maybe try to get the best warranty one)
Would I need extra cooling if I got the 4870x2?
__________________

enigm@tic is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ASUS Republic of Gamers Primed to Blow the Competition Away at CeBIT 2009 thirdshiftdj New Technology and Products 1 03-05-2009 01:59 PM
Gaming CPU + Workstation card at one time? meat_helmet New Systems | Building and Buying 9 10-29-2008 10:38 AM
Gaming Comp Build Opinion MemX Dave Overclocking and Modding 9 12-06-2007 01:26 PM
Help with gaming comp build for 2008 chrisx706 System Upgrades 8 11-26-2007 07:10 PM
I need help picking a gaming computer rcnjsn9 New Systems | Building and Buying 14 11-21-2007 01:01 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.