Gaming Comp Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inno3d sounds like a brand specific to Australia. Asus us much better known and respected. And even though they do cost more you don;t have to worry about quality. I am very hesitant to recommend brands I have never heard of or used.

The P6T+Core i7 will give you much more umph than the Phenom will. And x58 gives a choice between crossfire and sli. What are your ati card options? in America the 4890 is a great deal.

^I've owned two other Inno3d cards. both worked fine, and managed to withstand my noobish overclocking attempts (never been much good with oc'ing gpus)
So all in all I suppose I'm pretty pleased with them, and I would have no problem recommending them.

^I just built a new system recently, also got parts from msy (which is I'm assuming where you're buying from)

I got the Asus P6T, it's GREAT. Does everything I want, and I love that it includes an eSata port on the back.

I went with the Inno3d GTX 285. I looked up the cards, they all have exactly the same specs. Only differences are in the physical design of the cards/cooling I suppose. Not worth the extra cash just for 'Asus' to be written on the card.
for the ram I got the G.Skill PI set, apparently it was the last set :) you might have to settle for the NQ set. timings are a little rough, but hey they're passable.
Also, if you're getting the i7 920 I suggest you don't get it from MSY. veedub is selling a couple of D0 i7's for 300US shipped. Comes to around 377AU bucks. Grab yourself one of those.

Yep MSY is where I am getting most parts. If I can't get the G.skill PI set should I go with corsair or it doesn't make much difference either way?

What is the veedub site? I googled it and couldn't find it. Thanks for the advice about the gfx card too, will be saving me a bit of money.

I found this site which was pretty good for prices NetPlus Micro Computers - Cheapest Computers - Perth Western Australia their in perth too so you probably already know them.

yep, I know them. Don't really get much from them though.

lol, veedub isn't a site, he's a member. I've bought twice off him before, you can trust what he sells.
Veedub's i7 920's

As for your ram, the corsairs are good if you can afford them. Really the G.Skill NQ's don't belong in an i7 build with a gtx 285. So yeah, if you can go with the corsairs. They've still got the crap 9-9-9-24 timings, but the extra 400Mhz should help to make up for that.

Honestly I'm not too impressed with either set, if I were you I'd take another last look around to see if there's anything better going. I doubt you'll find anything in Aus tho

Inno3d sounds like a brand specific to Australia. Asus us much better known and respected. And even though they do cost more you don;t have to worry about quality. I am very hesitant to recommend brands I have never heard of or used.

The P6T+Core i7 will give you much more umph than the Phenom will. And x58 gives a choice between crossfire and sli. What are your ati card options? in America the 4890 is a great deal.

2GB 4870x2 Gigabyte (VIC, NSW Only) $589 --- is that dual?
1GB 4890 Powercolor $278 /Gigabyte $309/XFX $285

Why is ATI much cheaper than Nvidia chipsets?

yep, I know them. Don't really get much from them though.

lol, veedub isn't a site, he's a member. I've bought twice off him before, you can trust what he sells.
Veedub's i7 920's

As for your ram, the corsairs are good if you can afford them. Really the G.Skill NQ's don't belong in an i7 build with a gtx 285. So yeah, if you can go with the corsairs. They've still got the crap 9-9-9-24 timings, but the extra 400Mhz should help to make up for that.

Honestly I'm not too impressed with either set, if I were you I'd take another last look around to see if there's anything better going. I doubt you'll find anything in Aus tho

Thanks man, just pm'd him. Had a look at corsair and too expensive.. I'll find some g.skill-PI.

2GB 4870x2 Gigabyte (VIC, NSW Only) $589
Why is ATI much cheaper than Nvidia chipsets?

that card is the best, second only to the GTX 295. However, I find the drivers for Nvidia's cards a heap better than ATI's. I've only owned one hi-end ATI card before, and it was great. The only thing was the driver support was lacking. I'd stick with the GTX 285

edit: oh, and your first psu will do you fine. It's got a nice amount of amperage, nice efficiency levels too.

As a random injection here, I know Guru3D.com reviews some Inno3D stuff, and they seem alright.

that card is the best, second only to the GTX 295. However, I find the drivers for Nvidia's cards a heap better than ATI's. I've only owned one hi-end ATI card before, and it was great. The only thing was the driver support was lacking. I'd stick with the GTX 285

edit: oh, and your first psu will do you fine. It's got a nice amount of amperage, nice efficiency levels too.

So do you think even considering not much price increase the gtx 285 is still a better buy than the 4870x2? How does the performance from each compare?

btw regarding the drivers on the ATI, if it's not going to work with all games then I probably wont buy it.

AMD's driver's have really improved over the past few updates (even the past few years), some of the cards that were originally equal in performance to Nvidia cards, now beat them in most (fair) situations, the HD 4870 and the C216 for example.

I'd go with the HD 4870X2 because the GTX 285 is slower in most games and definitely not worth paying extra over. (but the hd 4870X2 does run quite a bit hotter, so watch those temps and maybe try to get the best warranty one)

AMD's driver's have really improved over the past few updates (even the past few years), some of the cards that were originally equal in performance to Nvidia cards, now beat them in most (fair) situations, the HD 4870 and the C216 for example.

I'd go with the HD 4870X2 because the GTX 285 is slower in most games and definitely not worth paying extra over. (but the hd 4870X2 does run quite a bit hotter, so watch those temps and maybe try to get the best warranty one)

Would I need extra cooling if I got the 4870x2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom