fuzzy's computer upgrade (noob) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-05-2010, 04:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: australia
Posts: 9
Cool fuzzy's computer upgrade (noob)

i want to upgrade it so i have better graphics and better cooling system etc and so i can play games better.
i pretty much want to start with the case and go from there so any help would be great cause ive never done this before

this is my curent set up.

its a dell insperon 530

• Case
• ugly white and silver case from dell painted black inside and out
• big *** fan at the back i had to cut and file **** away to get it in there. also did the same with the front .

• Processor
• Intel Celeron quad core 450 / 2.2 GHz

• Mainboard
• Chipset type Intel G33 Express
• Data bus speed 800.0 MHz

• RAM
• Installed Size 4.0 GB (max)
• Technology DDR2 SDRAM
• Memory Speed 667.0 MHz
• Memory Specification Compliance PC2-5300
• Form Factor DIMM 240-pin
• Features Dual channel memory architecture
• Configuration Features 2 x 512 MB

• Storage Controller
• Type 1.0 x Serial ATA - Integrated
• Controller interface type Serial ATA-300
• Storage controller interface channel qty 4.0
• RAID level RAID 1


• Storage
• Hard Drive 1.0 x 500.0 GB - Standard - Serial ATA-300 - 7200.0 rpm
• Hard Drive (2nd) 1.0 x 1TB


• Graphics Controller
• Type Integrated
• Graphics Processor / Vendor Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 4.0
• Max Allocated RAM Size 224.0 MB


• Audio Output
• Type Sound card - Integrated
• Sound output mode 7.1 channel surround
• Audio output compliant standards High Definition Audio


• Power
• Device Type Power supply
• Power AC 120/230 V
• Power Provided 300.0 Watt


• OS Provided Microsoft Windows Vista Home

and lame *** case

*edit*
im also looking at this case XClio what do you think
__________________

fuzzy2308 is offline  
Old 05-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: australia
Posts: 9
Default Re: fuzzy's computer upgrade (noob)

my current psu is 300.0 Watt if i get a 480W will i kill any thing
__________________

fuzzy2308 is offline  
Old 05-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 82
Default Re: fuzzy's computer upgrade (noob)

Having a larger power supply will not hurt anything. I was using a 650 to power a 6 year old single core cpu a few months ago.
__________________
Antec 300 Case
OCZ 600W GameXStream PSU
MSI NF750-G55 MB
Phenom II X3 720 3.6GHz
Patriot Warp 64GB SSD
2 x 2GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
2x GTX 260's for SLI
WIndows 7 32 bit
blasterfreak88 is offline  
Old 05-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
mikesx4911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: chicago, IL
Posts: 356
Default Re: fuzzy's computer upgrade (noob)

well i def recommend a new case lol but you can reuse everything pretty much just pick a video card you want to get thats in ur price range, pick up a power supply and i would recommened you get a cheap sound card as well. integrated audio can decrease peformance it might not be noticable but you can pick up a sound card cheap nowdays. the case will be a upgrade with better cooling so if you like the style i say go for it.
mikesx4911 is offline  
Old 05-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,534
Default Re: fuzzy's computer upgrade (noob)

That Celeron is not a quadcore. Don't know where you got hat from... You'll need to update the CPU to either a dual or quad core to be able to play newer games. Most likely a quad if it's newer games you're after.

You're looking at **** near a complete internal upgrade.

Notable upgrade parts needed for a decent gaming PC :

CPU
Motherboard
RAM
Video Card
Most likely a new PSU

You DO NOT need an external sound card. The onboard on most newer boards is perfectly fine, and you have no reason to spend the extra money, on something that's not going to affect the performance of a game.

Now, depending on your budget, we can help you get the ball rolling on a decent gaming PC. The case is fine, but that should be the last of your worries, if you're wanting to game more on your PC.
__________________
ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 : AMD FX 9370 : Corsair H100i GTX Cooler : 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600 (4x4Gb) : XFX 7970 Ghz 3GB x 2 : PNY XLR8 256GB SSD : Seagate 1TB : Antec True Power Quattro 1000W : Thermaltake G41
95BlackGA is offline  
Old 05-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
mikesx4911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: chicago, IL
Posts: 356
Default Re: fuzzy's computer upgrade (noob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BlackGA View Post
That Celeron is not a quadcore. Don't know where you got hat from... You'll need to update the CPU to either a dual or quad core to be able to play newer games. Most likely a quad if it's newer games you're after.

You're looking at **** near a complete internal upgrade.

Notable upgrade parts needed for a decent gaming PC :

CPU
Motherboard
RAM
Video Card
Most likely a new PSU

You DO NOT need an external sound card. The onboard on most newer boards is perfectly fine, and you have no reason to spend the extra money, on something that's not going to affect the performance of a game.

Now, depending on your budget, we can help you get the ball rolling on a decent gaming PC. The case is fine, but that should be the last of your worries, if you're wanting to game more on your PC.
Integrated audio dosent affect computer peformanec in any kinda way? Yea I think you might of been wishing it was a quad, thats a complete overhaul than.
mikesx4911 is offline  
Old 05-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,534
Default Re: fuzzy's computer upgrade (noob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesx4911 View Post
Integrated audio dosent affect computer peformanec in any kinda way? Yea I think you might of been wishing it was a quad, thats a complete overhaul than.
It does affect it, but not enough to drastically decrease performance in a game. If someone is worried about the performance of a game, don't look into spending $20-$80 on a sound card, put that money to better use into a better GPU which would improve the performance a lot more than a sound card.

A decent GPU and sound card < a faster GPU and onboard
__________________
ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 : AMD FX 9370 : Corsair H100i GTX Cooler : 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600 (4x4Gb) : XFX 7970 Ghz 3GB x 2 : PNY XLR8 256GB SSD : Seagate 1TB : Antec True Power Quattro 1000W : Thermaltake G41
95BlackGA is offline  
Old 05-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: australia
Posts: 9
Default Re: fuzzy's computer upgrade (noob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasterfreak88 View Post
Having a larger power supply will not hurt anything. I was using a 650 to power a 6 year old single core cpu a few months ago.
cool thank for the help
fuzzy2308 is offline  
Old 05-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: australia
Posts: 9
Default Re: fuzzy's computer upgrade (noob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesx4911 View Post
well i def recommend a new case lol but you can reuse everything pretty much just pick a video card you want to get thats in ur price range, pick up a power supply and i would recommened you get a cheap sound card as well. integrated audio can decrease peformance it might not be noticable but you can pick up a sound card cheap nowdays. the case will be a upgrade with better cooling so if you like the style i say go for it.

thank for your help. i can get a decent sound card for $30 so i might look into doing that some time down the track
fuzzy2308 is offline  
Old 05-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: australia
Posts: 9
Default Re: fuzzy's computer upgrade (noob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BlackGA View Post
That Celeron is not a quadcore. Don't know where you got hat from... You'll need to update the CPU to either a dual or quad core to be able to play newer games. Most likely a quad if it's newer games you're after.

You're looking at **** near a complete internal upgrade.

Notable upgrade parts needed for a decent gaming PC :

CPU
Motherboard
RAM
Video Card
Most likely a new PSU

You DO NOT need an external sound card. The onboard on most newer boards is perfectly fine, and you have no reason to spend the extra money, on something that's not going to affect the performance of a game.

Now, depending on your budget, we can help you get the ball rolling on a decent gaming PC. The case is fine, but that should be the last of your worries, if you're wanting to game more on your PC.
the specs were from the dell web site so they could be wrong and out dated. i had a look and the the processor is a Intel(R) Core(tm)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40.GHz, 4 core(s) 4 Logical processor(s)

i need a new PSU byr dont know what voltage yet
i will have a look at video cards today and the price range etc.
thanks for your help
__________________

fuzzy2308 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
30+ Windows 7 Features Phone Home to Microsoft KSoD Microsoft Windows and Software 1 12-12-2009 10:36 PM
Very strange computer issues. No one knows the answers. Aiyana Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 9 03-29-2008 07:00 PM
An upgrade for a very old computer Idioteque New Systems | Building and Buying 5 12-21-2007 02:09 AM
Computer Jokes. Kharn Off Topic Discussion 8 12-19-2007 12:09 AM
Medium computer upgrade. muman System Upgrades 6 09-14-2007 04:53 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.