FSB, System Bus, Whaaaaat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldIndustries

Daemon Poster
One of the small things I haven't been able to fully understand... I Googled it, but I still can't really get a straight answer.

I DO understand that my FSB is 100 MHz, and my multiplier is 18, so therefore 18 x 100 = 1800, which is my core speed.
But where does the bus speed fit into this? I thought the bus speed was supposed to be double the FSB, because of DDR, but in CPU-Z, mine's 400 MHz, which is four times as much...

And why on mobo specs do they sometimes state it supports, for example, a 800 MHz FSB, when they're really talking about the bus speed (atleast I think...)?

Someone want to help me understand this, please?

Don't quote me on this, but I think the reason yours is 400mhz is because Intel CPU's are "Quad Pumped".

WorldIndustries said:
One of the small things I haven't been able to fully understand... I Googled it, but I still can't really get a straight answer.

1.I DO understand that my FSB is 100 MHz, and my multiplier is 18, so therefore 18 x 100 = 1800, which is my core speed.
2.But where does the bus speed fit into this? I thought the bus speed 3.was supposed to be double the FSB, because of DDR, but in CPU-Z, 4.mine's 400 MHz, which is four times as much...

And why on mobo specs do they sometimes state it supports, for example, a 800 MHz FSB, when they're really talking about the bus speed (atleast I think...)?

Someone want to help me understand this, please?

1. Correct.

2.Bus speed is how fast data is tranfered on the motherboard between devices.

3. PC3200 DDR400 runs at 400Mhz, meaning it runs slower then the CPU.

Front side bus is the speed that data moves into the CPU, there is also backside Bus, which is usally unimportant.

be aware that the CPU operates the fastest of anything else in your system. Inside it has higher clocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom