Friends Computer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2006, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Friends Computer

My friend was trying to get a new computer, upgrading a dell actually, but ripping it all up.
Parts I recommended:
Mobo, but will gladly take suggestions
Need a good 160GB HD
Vid Card (PCI-E, so AGP/PCI-E Mobo isn't necessary)

And maybe a few other things. Things I need, 160GB Hard Drive, and a PSU.
Total, by my calculations (estimate), is around 700 dollars.
Or would it just be better to buy a computer from Best Buy and put a good Video Card in it, because I think this would be less.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Brtnboarder495

Looks good to me, keep in mind you will need a more powerful power supply and possibly hard drive, if your new motherboard only uses SATA, because I'm guessing your old one used ATA only.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Well I need reccomendations for those parts, please. (and possibly for a better Motherboard).
Old 02-08-2006, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Check the actual case itself as a lot of the Dell computers were designed as being uATX, (Micro ATX form factor). You will definitely need a new PSU as the one supplied by Dell isn't a standard ATX power supply. (This is true for all of the PSU's that dell have.)

You'll need to make sure your case can handle the dimesions for a standard ATX form factor PSU and Motherboard.

I recommend you get a Antec Truepower Power supply probably a 450 watt.

And Get a different motherboard, Asrock aren't great builds. Look at getting a DFI, everybody raves about them. I'd buy one but there not cheap in Australia so i got a gigabyte.( Blood good though.)
Check this mobo.

Just check your case dimesions as that will be a silly thing to go buy that gear and realise your case is about a inch or so to small to fit stuff in
There are only Two things in life i regret doing... 1. Selling my Soul for Cash.... 2. Buying a Compaq.... I should have kept the Cash, huh.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Solution: Buy a new case. But that Mobo looks good. Any Hard Drive recommendations? I'm not sure of how much Dell will be left in this machine.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

By building it yourself, you can decide on the importance of the quality of each component. Such as, the power supply - those supplied with the case (both for $27.00) are notoriously bad. has psu's that they have tested and guarantee to be what they say it is. I agree with "wedge 00" in that is my source of choice for all of my computer parts. If price is your determining factor, you should buy a Dell.

Closed Thread