Friend selling GPUS

Mikepsyche

In Runtime
My friend is offering 2 GTX 460s for $100. One's fan is damaged, though it apparently doesn't affect temps or performance (undamaged $60, other one $40).

As my signature says (or lack thereof, still need to make a pretty one), I currently have one GTX 260 C216.

Is this a good buy for me, or would it be better for me to simply get a higher end, newer card?

Also, I currently have 6GB G.Skill 1600 - I was going to double it; is there another RAM addition that would be better for the money? I don't really see what I'd be missing here, but valuable second opinions would be appreciated.

That would depend on your budget. The 460 would be a decent upgrade and go well with your system. 60.00 for a 460 is pretty good, but there is better out there for the money. A GTX650 ti, isn't that much more, and a better card... Even a 560 Ti would be better...

So what are you willing to spend?

A 465 stock is the equivalent performance or thereabout to a stock 285, just to give you an idea. A 460 is essentially a 465 on a cooler chip.

As was suggested, you could or rather should get a better card. IF the card actually works properly with the damaged fan then you can't beat a 460 for 40 bucks.

Thanks guys. He also said they were factory overclocked, not sure how much they upped the clock speed or anything else.

Yeah, a 650 TI would be $130-190; how would it stack up to two 460s in sli?

I feel like two 460s for $100 is a better deal than I'm likely to find anywhere else. With the hassle of sli, it might just be worth it to get a 650 TI or equivalent AMD card.

@Nukem, I'm willing to spend up to $150 or so.

If the fan is broken on one, it will start to cause heat problems in SLI regardless if it works "fine". Fermi cards get hot.

If your friend will let you, run Kombustor and monitor the temps on both cards together to see how hot they get. If the broken fan one gets too warm it might not be worth it because you'll have to invest in an aftermarket cooler.

Edit: Too warm would be anything over 90c on 100% fan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom