Fresh windows install question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2018, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Fresh windows install question

My buddy has had some problems with his PC, so we want to do a completely fresh windows install on a totally clean SSD. For me to wipe his previous SSD, can I just throw it in my PC, format it, and then install windows 10 as you normally would back in his PC?

We want to do a fresh install because we believe he somehow corrupeted windows and has some sort of quasi windows 7 and 10 installed. His computer boots, but then after the motherboard screen it goes to a black screen. We have tried every setting in the BIOS and nothing is seeming to work so I'd like to just try a new install with a fresh copy.

Thanks in advance.

Thresh25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Fresh windows install question

You can format the drive directly from the Windows install if you select to do a custom install, it'll then take you to the drive selection screen. You can create or delete partitions, format..etc. Then select your partition and click to start the actual Windows install.

You can also download the latest W10 ISO from MS then use a free, portable app called RUFUS which will put that ISO onto a USB...then you can just install from that USB if you wish. Just be sure to select Custom install.
Dgeneration is offline   Reply With Quote